• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Skin condition - lice again? but it has wings...

MoruMum

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

It always seems to happen at the worst times—Bank Holiday Monday...

I noticed that my 3.5-year-old guinea pig sow had a wet patch of urine on her bottom about three days ago, and we cleaned it up. However, it happened again, so I checked her thoroughly and found a patch of dried, scabby skin along with some kind of winged insect. It might be lice, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know what it could be?

I plan to make an appointment with my exotic vet, but is there anything I can do to help her skin in the meantime?

Also, lice seem to be a recurring issue with my guinea pig (we dealt with it once before). I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to prevent this in the future. I read that freezing the hay can kill lice eggs, but does that really work? Are there any other methods?

She has been quite happy and appetite has been good so I feel really bad that it looks quite bad on her skin. It is only on one part of the skin close to her bum.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 2024-05-27-09-17-01-968.webp
    2024-05-27-09-17-01-968.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7774.webp
    IMG_7774.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 2024-05-27-09-20-15-338.webp
    2024-05-27-09-20-15-338.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 2
Hi,

It always seems to happen at the worst times—Bank Holiday Monday...

I noticed that my 3.5-year-old guinea pig sow had a wet patch of urine on her bottom about three days ago, and we cleaned it up. However, it happened again, so I checked her thoroughly and found a patch of dried, scabby skin along with some kind of winged insect. It might be lice, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know what it could be?

I plan to make an appointment with my exotic vet, but is there anything I can do to help her skin in the meantime?

Also, lice seem to be a recurring issue with my guinea pig (we dealt with it once before). I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to prevent this in the future. I read that freezing the hay can kill lice eggs, but does that really work? Are there any other methods?

She has been quite happy and appetite has been good so I feel really bad that it looks quite bad on her skin. It is only on one part of the skin close to her bum.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Hi

The only visible skin parasites in guinea pigs are lice, which are pale crawly things but if you have doubts, please book a vet appointment.

Skin parasites are a nuisance but they do not constitute an emergency. Guinea pigs can on occasion get short-lived visits from other pets' parasites but since they are attuned to the blood of their natural species, these visitors will usually not get what they need from the wrong host and disappear on their own.

Hi @Wiebke
That is very interesting to know this.
I will take them to the vet to show her the skin condition and see what she says.
I have started to freeze the hay 24 hours before usage (I had to give up one of the freezer drawer for the hay!) and thawing it before using it so hopefully it will prevent the future lice problems. Will update on the vet appointment.

Hi @Wiebke
That is very interesting to know this.
I will take them to the vet to show her the skin condition and see what she says.
I have started to freeze the hay 24 hours before usage (I had to give up one of the freezer drawer for the hay!) and thawing it before using it so hopefully it will prevent the future lice problems. Will update on the vet appointment.

Lice don't necessarily come with hay; that is hay mites. Changing your supplier should take care of any hay issue but lice can come via other routes as well.

Back