• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sitting in urine ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
:( My gpig Belle has lately (i'd say past couple of months) been sitting in her urine such that her bottom is often wet and she is starting to smell (obviously!).

She is approx just over 3yrs, is a rescue pig we have had for 2 yrs. She lives outside with a neutered boar of a similar age but this is a relatively new problem.

It's obviously not nice for her or us and we are constantly having to bathe her. They are regularly cleaned, their diet has not changed and there have been no other obvious changes. Her behaviour, eating habits etc have not changed and she is as happy as she ever is !

She is such a beautiful girl and i really need to get to the bottom (no pun!) of this. Does anyone have any idea what this might be or why it might have just started now? I just wonder if anyone has experienced this and whether they could advise if its more behavioural or physical?

Thanks in advance :)

She might have a urinary tract infection, if she were mine I'd take her along to the vet for a quick check up, a course of antibiotics might be needed. This is to me the most obvious reason, if you outrule medical problems then you can begin looking at other reasons.

Out of interest, what bedding are you using :)

Barbara

Bedding is woodshavings and hay - have used this for years - occasionally vet bed in cold weather etc.

Unfortunately my wonderful vet has moved away from the area and i am not very impressed with my new vet. Have been researching endlessly for a good vet or just one who has some experience with Gpig but unsuccessful so far. I am not ruling out taking her to the vet - in fact that is the next route to take - just wondered if anyone had any experince of this.

Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back