Sitting in their c&c cage

Cambridge Piggles

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is it ok when bonding to climb into their cage? I want to eventually encourage them to clamber onto my lap and I don’t want to pick them up. Will they feel threatened if one day I climb in?

Is it ok when bonding to climb into their cage? I want to eventually encourage them to clamber onto my lap and I don’t want to pick them up. Will they feel threatened if one day I climb in?
As long as there’s room for them to choose whether or not to interact with you that’s fine. Just remember you’re dealing with prey animals so do nothing fast…. Announce yourself and keep talking in a sing song voice as you might to babies… and be patient. Sitting on the floor with a lap full of herbs is a good way to get their interest. But it can take a long time to gain their trust.

As long as there’s room for them to choose whether or not to interact with you that’s fine. Just remember you’re dealing with prey animals so do nothing fast…. Announce yourself and keep talking in a sing song voice as you might to babies… and be patient. Sitting on the floor with a lap full of herbs is a good way to get their interest. But it can take a long time to gain their trust.
Yeah I’m taking it super slow. I think this is something for many months down the line. I’ll sit at the opposite end of the cage and see if they come over. Thanks for your advice x

I have sat in with our piggies in the past, usually when I make them a giant floor space during the hot summer days. I just offer veggies and have a chat. They slowly got used to it & were happy to come over. Hamish would sometimes sit balanced on my knee- I assume to get closer to the veg I was holding!

Tim nice but dim, is the one sitting on my legs in the picture. That was the only time he ever settled on me!
He was however quite happy to climb on me. Sir George has been happy to settle on me since he was a youngster and Master Boris was happily climbing all over us from only having him for a few days.

Back