Sitting in Corner of Cage

Breesy+Juicy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I am new to the forum
I am very worried about my guinea pig Juicy who for the past day has only sat in the left hand corner of his cage. He usually is in his hidey napping or eating hay, but today he has been very jumpy and won't go to his hidey at all. I tried luring him to the other side with food because he is food motivated and gave him 15 minutes but nothing. The past couple days it's been warm enough and I have been letting him graze in the grass. Do you think these situations could be connected? As soon as I moved his treats to the corner he ate them up, so his appetite is still there.

Sitting in the corner of a cage can often be a sign that your guinea pig is not feeling well.

You should switch to daily weighing to keep an eye on his weight. Weight loss is often he first sign of a problem.

Does he live alone?
Has anything else changed in his cage or the room it is in?

If his behaviour is different to normal and you are concerned the best thing is usually to get him checked over by a vet to put your mind at ease.

Hello and welcome
He doesn’t sound right does he? I agree with @Swissgreys get him checked out at an experienced vets and weigh him daily at the same time. Also try keep an eye on how much he is eating (know that’s difficult 😣)

Sitting in the corner of a cage can often be a sign that your guinea pig is not feeling well.

You should switch to daily weighing to keep an eye on his weight. Weight loss is often he first sign of a problem.

Does he live alone?
Has anything else changed in his cage or the room it is in?

If his behaviour is different to normal and you are concerned the best thing is usually to get him checked over by a vet to put your mind at ease.
Yesterday i took him outside twice and he ran around a little bit, where usually he just sleeps all day. Do you think he could just be tired?

Its always best to get any medical angle checked out first. Assuming he is tired would be unsafe as if he is unwell then he needs a check.

my piggies are active all the time, they can be outside for 12-14 hours per day and they aren’t any more tired the next day

It doesn’t mean anything it is just how your piggy is.. mine lays in her corner all the time she loves to burrow in her hay. It’s her safe place.. it has nothing to do with being unwell. My girl has been to the vet numerous times in the past week due to unrelated concerns and each time she got a clean bill of health

I’m glad your piggy has a clean bill of health but it is Incorrect for you to say sitting in a corner doesn’t mean anything by way of blanket comment. Sitting in a corner can indeed be a sign of unwell and it is important that is recognised and picked up as a potential change in behaviour and vet advice sought appropriately.

Please note that the care sections of this forum are monitored by those of us with the relevant experience and knowledge to give the correct advice. You will know us by our badges in our signatures.

Please do also note that this is a three year old thread and that the OP has not been back on the forum in those years.
We do ask that new members check the dates of threads before resurrecting them. We are an active forum and reopening old threads can mean new ones are missed by those of us monitoring the sections, as they get pushed down the lists.

Back