Single story vs double

Emmy1971

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone
Advice please on the pros and cons of a single or two story hutch for one older girl and two babies. Assuming I need 6ft although the old 5ft one I currently have outside (broken) looks massive! All currently inside and looking to move them out gradually once the weather clears up a bit! I’d love to have them permanently inside but rented flat and just no room! Any recommendations greatly appreciated. Swaying towards home and roost products but open to all. Also any good toys etc to entertain them.
Thanks so much xx

A 6ft hutch is needed for three piggies.
Upper levels don’t count towards the cage size, so a single level hutch is absolutely fine.

However, there is also nothing wrong with a double storey provided they are happy to use a ramp and the ramp isn’t too steep

My hutch is a double storey but I have one where the ramp can be closed off (not all do this) so in winter I tend to close the ramp at night so they are locked upstairs as it is much easier to keep just the one upper level warm enough

I have a two storey hutch but only because I had 5 piggies in a boar sow/pair and a boar/2 sow trio. Now that my boys are buried in my garden, I have bonded the 3 girls and only use the top of the hutch. The bottom is used for storage now. I have a Chartwell 6' x 2' two storey hutch. If I had had only 2 or 3 piggies to begin with I would have gone for a single storey.

Back