Single Piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

graviee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was wondering if it is OK to have a single Guinea pig. I am getting an absolute minimum cage and even that takes up a lot of space in my room. If it is ok, any suggestions as to how to keep the pig from getting too lonely?:hmm:

:no: No, sorry. One guinea pig is NOT okay. They are gregarious animals and thrive with company of their own kind. A lone guinea pig is a sad guinea pig. If you only have space for one, then best not get any at all.

I had the same issue when I was trying to convince my parents to let me have pigs! (The space thing anyway).

Guinea pigs can't happily live alone, I'm afraid. When considering getting guineas, always work on the assumption that you'll have more than one. The more the merrier anyway! :beer:

How big is your room? Is there any way you could shuffle furniture or maybe get a cabin bed so you have a bit more space to work with? Could they have a double-decker cage? Whatever happens, you mustn't get a single pig who's going to live in a small cage all by himself for his whole life x

well no sorry :no: if you piggie is very younge then they cant be alone, if your piggie is old:fog: and may not have much left to live then i would say yes but you must spend loads of time with it. Piggies are just like us we need people there, and people cheer us up when we are sad or alone. so if you piggie is younge then YES they must be with there own kind but if your piggie is old and may not live for long then dont get a piggie but spend time with it. If you get a piggie and the old one dies then your gonna be stressing about getting a piggie. So if its old then if it dies then get a 2 piggies togetherxxxxx
xhugs to you and your piggie or piggiesx :luv::hug:

The RSPCA minimum recommended size cage is the same for 1 or 2 guinea pigs ie approx. 120cm x 60cm. In actual practise it is had to find anything this size as most are 118cm x 59cm. Anything smaller than this is too small once you put house,bowls & toys etc in x

I wonder if it might be that guinea pigs are not the right pet for you at this time? If you don't have the space to give over to a pair then you are setting up a pig to a fairly miserable existence in a small cage on his own. It might meet your needs but it certainly won't meet theirs.

Why do you want a pet? Why a guinea pig in particular? You might find that by exploring the options you may end up with another kind of pet that perhaps requires a smaller footprint on the ground but goes up taller (I'm thinking rats but am prepared to be corrected on the type of cage they would need), or a hamster that is happy to live alone. Or fish that would fit the type of tank you could accommodate. There is a wealth of experience that might be able to help guide you. x

I was wondering if it is OK to have a single Guinea pig. I am getting an absolute minimum cage and even that takes up a lot of space in my room. If it is ok, any suggestions as to how to keep the pig from getting too lonely?:hmm:

HI and welcome!

It is great that you are doing your research beforehand! Looking after a feeling, living being is a lot of responsibility, and you want to get it right.

In view of your space restraints, you would be better off getting a hamster if you really want a single pet that doesn't need a lot of space; hamsters live as singles and they can get by with a minimum guinea pig cage (as which hamster cages are often advertised as)! Although even hamsters like to have as much space to gambol around in as you can afford to give them! ;)

Guinea pigs are ground roamers that are wired to live in groups in which they graze their way round a surprisingly large territory. They need as much as space as they can get in order to stay healthy and they depend on the company of others round the clock for constant stimulation and happiness; they have actually a very complex and differentiated social life.
You wouldn't knowingly want to keep a pet that is bascially living for 5-7 years in solitary confinement in a tiny cell, completely dependent on you for company, exercise and mental stimulation for several hours every single day, whether you feel like it and have the time or not, would you? That is quite a long term commitment - can you plan that far ahead?

You will also have to take into account that in that time your guinea pig very likely needs to see a vet. This can quickly cost you several hundred pounds or dollars, especially in the US, where vets also demand upfront payment. Before you get a pet, you need to have a serious talk with your parents/the adults responsible for you about how to save up and be able to cover the cost in case of an emergency - which is what you are usually facing, as guinea pigs are very good at hiding illness until it is nearly too late, and they can go downhill quite quickly. Pet illness can put a huge strain on the whole family when the money is not there and your pet is dying miserably because of it; we see that often enough when distraught teenagers come onto the forum because their parents don't want to shell out for a vet visit. :(

Guinea pigs make great pets when you have the space and time for them to keep a couple. I hope that the right time will come some time for you!

Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners
Companionship

Last edited:
Ok thanks so much! I will try to rearrange furniture; if I don't have room I may end up getting a hamster.

Ok thanks so much! I will try to rearrange furniture; if I don't have room I may end up getting a hamster.

Please do your research on hamster before you get one. Several members have got hamsters and can help you if you start a thread in our "Other Pets" section. Other Pets

Please do your research on hamster before you get one. Several members have got hamsters and can help you if you start a thread in our "Other Pets" section. Other Pets

I have owned hamsters before. My last hamster died of age about two months ago. I still have a 500sq in cage left over But again, I'm in a debate between Guinea pigs and hamsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back