Single piggy making a “complaining/whining” sound

mccreanna

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there. I recently lost one of my guinea pigs about 2 months ago (from a tumor), and my sweet Olivia has been on her own ever since. She is about 4 years old, and as I don’t intend to keep anymore guinea pigs after her, I wasn’t planning to adopt another. However, I’m worried about her behavior recently. She’s been eating and drinking just fine, so nothing seems wrong there. She has just been making a very loud “complaining” sound (according to YouTube) lately, and will go on for quite a while. (It kind of sounds like she’s chatting but it’s a little more high pitched and constant of a sound.) It happens throughout the day but also especially at night. Her cage has just been cleaned and she has more space now since she is on her own, so I don’t think it’s anything to do with that. Could it be an attention seeking behavior from loneliness? Or do you think I should be concerned that she might be in pain and should take her to the vet? I’m going to look into seeing if my local rescue might be able to let me foster another piggy for her, but I did just want to see if anyone had more experience and knowledge in case she’s trying to tell me she’s in pain.
Thank you for reading x

The best thing is to always get a medical angle checked out first.
After that then yes getting her a new friend would be most beneficial for her. At 4 years of age, she isn’t old and could probably have many more years left ahead of her, too long to be alone.

The guide below will help in the meantime

Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

I Absolutely agree with @Piggies&buns , getting a medical assessment is crucial, based on the research I've done. If you truly want her to be your last pig, have you considered rehoming her to someone experienced and passionate about guinea pigs? She could join a wonderful herd, though I understand this is a last resort. Solo pigs can feel lonely, and it's genuinely heartbreaking. ❤️

I Absolutely agree with @Piggies&buns , getting a medical assessment is crucial, based on the research I've done. If you truly want her to be your last pig, have you considered rehoming her to someone experienced and passionate about guinea pigs? She could join a wonderful herd, though I understand this is a last resort. Solo pigs can feel lonely, and it's genuinely heartbreaking. ❤️
Thank you both for your responses. I will schedule her for a vet visit - I think it’s time for her to go for a check-up anyway. I have considered rehoming her, but I just hated the idea of giving her away, but I know you’re right and that it would probably be better for her. I’ll see what the rescue says about the foster and get her to the vet in the meantime. Thank you again. ❤️

Also had an idea instead of giving up your amazing companion. You could possibly rehome a similar sow or sows the same age or a little older 🥰

A neutered older boar would make a lovely companion for her, good luck. Ask your rescue if they foster piggies, good luck 🤞

Back