Single Piggy From Rescue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelb

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone I have been hunting to give 2 female guinea pigs a good home but I could not find any rescues around Glasgow and the SSPCA have very few piggies but there has been a guinea pig for adoption in the north of Scotland (about 3 hours drive) she is a couple of weeks old (waiting until 6 weeks before she is adopted) and says to be housed singly? I was planning on having 2 but she has been abandoned and is scared of other piggies so on this occasion is it ok? I was planning on waiting a while and the maybe introducing her to a friend after she trusts me and is settled with her new family. I have a 4X2 C&C cage ready with loads of toys, hides and everything you could imagine! It breaks my heart to see someone has left her when I know she would have such a great home here anyone have any ideas?

Once she is old enough to be bonded with another piggy, she'll soon learn to trust. My Sadie is an adult and was very wary of my bonded trio after I first got her. After a few weeks of careful bonding, it was as if she had been part of the group all her life. ;)

Ok thank you what is a suitable bonding age? thanks again

I've bonded a 3 week old boar with a 4 year old boar as he was getting frisky with his mam and had to remove him from the cage. The old timer was pleased of the company as his sister and cage mate had died the week before.

As she is so young the chances are she is desperate for company and will bond with another female quickly and easily.
As they get older it can become more complex, but right now she will just be happy to have a friend.
Well done for thinking of taking her on - it sounds like she deserves a chance.

Sounds like she would have a good home with you. :)
She would definitely be better with another piggy. Piggies are sociable and do better in pairs than singly. As she is so young she should be relatively easy to bond with another sow.

But why the heck are a rescue saying that such a tiny young pig should be housed alone?! Of course they are terrified at that stage and in that situation.

Anyhow, really hope you can rehome her. There are lots of people on the forum who have experience in bonding and can help you through that. Let us know what happens.

Hi everyone I have been hunting to give 2 female guinea pigs a good home but I could not find any rescues around Glasgow and the SSPCA have very few piggies but there has been a guinea pig for adoption in the north of Scotland (about 3 hours drive) she is a couple of weeks old (waiting until 6 weeks before she is adopted) and says to be housed singly? I was planning on having 2 but she has been abandoned and is scared of other piggies so on this occasion is it ok? I was planning on waiting a while and the maybe introducing her to a friend after she trusts me and is settled with her new family. I have a 4X2 C&C cage ready with loads of toys, hides and everything you could imagine! It breaks my heart to see someone has left her when I know she would have such a great home here anyone have any ideas?

If she is that young, then she will hopefully learn to get on with another guinea pig and learn from her. It is likely that she is currently just scared stiff running on her prey animal survival instincts, poor mite! It would be good if you could get her, so she has the chance to eventually live a happy life.
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language

I would think that living next door to another guinea pig at first will help her a lot relaxing and settling in. I find that the magic of my piggy room works on all freaked out new arrivals - even the really traumatised ones.

Your little one is currently extremely lost. I hope that they have got her where she is in contact (sight and hearing, and ideally contact through the bars) with other piggies at the rescue.

It would do her a world of good having a companion.I have taken on singles that were scared and they have gone I to the herd no problem.I can't understand why they said she has to be on her own.I may have a sow you could pair her with.It is one I took on that had a crap life.

Ok thank you what is a suitable bonding age? thanks again

The younger the better - but piggies can be bonded and re-bonded at any age, as long as they find a partner they like and get one with. Babies usually just fit into any group; that is how their instincts run. Even when they are scared at the start.
My youngest was 4 weeks old and my oldest 7 years when I found them a new group/new partner. My neutered boar Carwyn (who was about 3 years old) has gone from lighting up the last months of my 7 year old Ffraid to falling head over heels with his 6 weeks old wifelet Heini, who taught him to run and to popcorn.

There is no suitable bonding age as such, I have bonded all ages.I could help you bond the baby with one of mine.All are in a herd of eleven and pretty laid back.

Hi, is the SSPCA website not up to date? as they currently have these on their website not as yet marked reserved. I'm no expert but surely at least 2 of these girls could be bonded together, especially as it looks like Mary is the mother to the pups. Apologies if they are already reserved, but I am assuming one of these might be the girl you want to offer a home to?

Rehome a pet
Rehome a pet
Rehome a pet

I agree with all that's been said, this piggy needs a friend asap. I would keep quiet about your plans for her in case this misguided rescue insists on her being alone. Once she is yours you can do the right thing for her

Hi, is the SSPCA website not up to date? as they currently have these on their website not as yet marked reserved. I'm no expert but surely at least 2 of these girls could be bonded together, especially as it looks like Mary is the mother to the pups. Apologies if they are already reserved, but I am assuming one of these might be the girl you want to offer a home to?

Rehome a pet
Rehome a pet
Rehome a pet

Yes the second one is her :) the other 2 are part of another litter the woman was saying on the phone this morning however I need short haired piggies due to asthma kicking off around long haired, although I heard her talking to a colleague and saying the piggies 'group' which was her,her brother and the mum weird that they would split them?

It does say on the website that she can be paired with a sow or neutered boar. Shockingly it does say 'can be rehomed singly'. Even pets at home sell them in pairs!

yep when I phoned they said she was scared of other piggies and then another woman said she is in a group with her mum and brother so I'm rather confused? Luckily they have a lot of piggies her own age also that I can pair with taking a drive to Dundee on Saturday :dri:

yep when I phoned they said she was scared of other piggies and then another woman said she is in a group with her mum and brother so I'm rather confused? Luckily they have a lot of piggies her own age also that I can pair with taking a drive to Dundee on Saturday :dri:

She looks lovely, I hope you have success on Saturday and are able to adopt 2 lucky piggies :nod:

Thank you there is some debate in my household to whether she is long or short haired could anyone help us out

20161102_222921.webp

She looks like an Abby to me, she will have spiky rosettes all over. Abbys have a brilliant temperament full of mischief! ;)

Guinea_Pig-Abyssinian-A_beautiful_little_Abyssinian_Guinea_Pig_with_soft_ginger_and_white_fur.webp

hope you can get two. You know where I am if you need a friend for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back