Single or double 5ft chartwell hutch 🙂

eksarahw

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Argh..feel like I'm going crazy doing all my research for possibility of rehoming 2 pigs 🐖🙃

Cannot decide between the single or double 5ft chartwell hutch...

Read so many reviews that single is fine but part of me feels the double may give them more space and higher up level to see more daylight in the summerhouse?!

Also aware of ramp issues and dominance of one floor from some pigs.. Help! 😁

5ft single level is fine for two sows but not big enough for two boars who need 6ft.
Like you say the ramp can be an issue for some pigs but then again it is more space! My boys live in a single level cage (6ft long) and are perfectly happy with that.
You could always buy a double and block off the bottom and use it for storage (not sure what the price difference is!) that would also make cleaning much easier!

Thanks for your reply! One thing I'm thinking about this double hutch is it only has one solid bedroom door on upstairs level,wish it had them on both for warmth..

Either is fine but there are pros and cons so it’s about personal choice.
A double storey isnt technically more space. They actually can lose space in a double as the ramp both upstairs and downstairs breaks up the floor space.

I have a 6ft double hutch in my shed but don’t use it as such anymore, and have removed the ramp between the two levels and use them as two separate single level hutches.
In winter my boys spend the night in the top hutch. This is because keeping a single level properly warm is much easier than trying to make sure both levels are warm enough. It takes a lot of hay to fill a hutch in winter and it is therefore cheaper to just fill a single level.

In the summer they live in the bottom part of the hutch as they have 24/7 access to the shed floor to play

This is the 6 feet double hutch in use.i have some washable ramp tunnels for this hutch,if you decide to go ahead.the more space the better.mine used the ramps alot.i did close the ramp off at night,but that is a personal thing.
20160924_165348.webp

Back