Single boar - should we get him a girlfriend or 2 or try another boar?

patnporridge

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all. We lost our lovely piggy Porridge (boar) a couple of weeks ago, it's been really really tough, but luckily our other boar Pat has dealt with it pretty much okay which is good as it has given us time to think about the next steps.

I've been pushing towards getting Pat neutered so we can get him a female companion (or 2) from a rescue. My partner is concerned about the neutering process as we lost Porridge under very confusing circumstances after visiting an emergency vet so we're having some vet related trust issues at the moment, so he keeps suggesting getting another boar. I am less keen on getting another boar as Pat and Porridge didn't always get along so well and we did end up having to keep them side by side but divided, and I would love Pat to have a girlfriend as he is such a little attention seeking pig and I think would thrive getting to actually have a friend who likes him (Porridge found him annoying we think!).

We also are struggling to find somewhere nearby that does neutering - we're in Brighton, not sure if anyone localish has any suggestions? And comforting words to pass onto my partner about boars who have been totally fine being neutered! Pat is under a year old so I think a perfect age.

Would love to hear more experienced pig owners advice! Every morning I still have a big sob about Porridge as it was such a traumatising day but hopefully a new pig will breathe some life back into our little family! Pat gets chatted to almost constantly by us and given lots of pets and attention but it really cannot compare to the companionship of another pig.

I don't have any advice, just wanted to say that I am very sorry for your loss 💔

I’m so sorry you lost Porridge. It is tough especially when they leave us so quickly.

With regards to neutering, there is always a risk with any operation but having it done by an experienced vet does lessen the risks. Below I’ll link to recommended vets.

Is it possible for you to travel to a rescue? Him and Porridge not getting on (depends what you mean by that) doesn’t mean he wouldn’t get on with another boar. The same could happen if you got him a sow (or two). It’s about character compatibility, whether it’s with a sow or boar. Some sows and boars won’t like each other.

Have a look at the rescue list and get in contact with them. There is usually a waiting list but hopefully he will be up for bonding soon. How old is Pat?

Recommended Guinea Pig Vets
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pig-forum-recommended-rescues.196734/

I’m so sorry you lost Porridge. It is tough especially when they leave us so quickly.

With regards to neutering, there is always a risk with any operation but having it done by an experienced vet does lessen the risks. Below I’ll link to recommended vets.

Is it possible for you to travel to a rescue? Him and Porridge not getting on (depends what you mean by that) doesn’t mean he wouldn’t get on with another boar. The same could happen if you got him a sow (or two). It’s about character compatibility, whether it’s with a sow or boar. Some sows and boars won’t like each other.

Have a look at the rescue list and get in contact with them. There is usually a waiting list but hopefully he will be up for bonding soon. How old is Pat?

Recommended Guinea Pig Vets
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pig-forum-recommended-rescues.196734/
We've been in touch with a local rescue so will hopefully have time to visit them soon! Working full time with no car is proving to be a little difficult.

I just think I've read so much about how much more likely it is for a boar and a sow to get along than a boar with another boar so thats what I'm hoping for. The six months we had the two of them it was constant rumble strutting, mounting, chasing, nipping, lunging (luckily no blood was ever drawn) so the last month we had a grid divider in the cage. It was constantly stressful up until we divided them and I felt so bad for Pat who was always seeking out Porridge for attention but who would be lunged at when he sniffed his bottom too long! And we felt bad for Porridge who was such an independent pig who just wanted to do his own thing. Pat is about 7 months old.

I’m sorry to hear of your loss.

A boar/sow bonding does tend to be a lot more stable for the long term but the sow does need to a accept the boar (not the other way round).
At his age, bonding with another boar isn’t impossible but he is right in the hardest part of his teens and for that reason alone bonding with a sow can be easier.

So sorry you lost Porridge 🌈
The most important thing about neutering is to find a really experienced vet that has neutered boars before with an excellent success rate. Ask the rescue which vet they use as most good rescues neuter their single boars before they go for adoption

So sorry that you lost Porridge.
I have a neutered boar who lives very happily with a sow.
There is always a risk with any surgery but with an experienced vet and good aftercare there’s no reason he shouldn’t be fine.
Micah started to develop a scrotal abscess after his neutering but we picked it up almost immediately and it was quickly dealt with.
Hope you can find a suitable companion for Pat

Back