Single bereaved piggie - dilemma

Bertie & Jelly

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
When my daughter’s two piggies Bertie and Jelly moved in with me permanently in 2022, I was clear in my mind that these would be the last piggies as I’m getting on a bit. Sadly we lost little Jelly to lymphoma in Dec 22 and as Bertie was then only 4, I followed forum recommendations and fostered Hutchie with a view to him returning to rescue when Bert passed. Of course, I could never have returned him, foster or not. I loved him from the first minute. Now ironically little Hutchie has gone first and I have the same dilemma as countless others on this forum. I’ve read all the posts and all the brilliant guides and I’m struggling to make a decision. Bert is now 5.5, dominant and unneutered. I think I have 3 options: 1) rehome/retirement home 2) don’t stop the piggie cycle and foster/find a new mate 3) keep him alone.

* Rehome: I have spoken to the nearest recommended rescue who are full and sadly don’t see any realistic hope of finding him a home at his age.
* Retirement (like rehoming but you still own piggie and pay for care): I’ve been to visit a retirement home - lovely, caring owner, primary business is boarding so full and busy for the summer, plus accommodation and routine (and sows) would be very different - maybe harder to adapt for an older boy?
* Foster and return: no longer offered
* Keep him alone: I know piggies need companions 😥

It has only been 48 hours and so far he is not pining like he obviously did when we lost Jelly although it is harder to tell if he’s depressed now - as an older chap he’s no longer very active. He’s eating, drinking and pooping and I’m monitoring his weight.

I know there is no easy answer but I’m wondering if I’ve got any other options that I could consider? I’m usually very decisive but I’m floundering 😥

I am very sorry for the dilemma you are in. I was in a similar situation in December. I made the decision in 2022 that my current 3 girls would be my last guinea pigs after we lost Edward at nearly 7

I always assumed that Ella and Esme would grow old together but we lost Ella at just 4 and a half in October 2023 so I was left with at least 5 year old Elizabeth who had her own health problems and 3 and a half year old Esme. Elizabeth sadly passed away in December so I found myself with single Esme. I knew I couldn’t carry on with the piggy cycle and I also knew she was very lonely and it wouldn’t have been in her best interests to keep her alone.

Wiebke who is a good friend of mine kindly offered to take my last remaining piggy after we chatted when I decided I wanted to end the cycle. It just happened a lot sooner than I anticipated. It was heartbreaking but Esme went to live with Wiebke in January and she is now living as part of a trio with two of Wiebke’s girls and enjoying life to the full

Nobody can tell you what to do and any decision has to be your own but I really wouldn’t leave Bertie as a single. He could live for another year or more. If you really do not want to carry on with the cycle, the retirement home or a foster may be good options to explore

Good luck with whatever you decide x

Last edited:
I am very sorry for the dilemma you are in. I was in a similar situation in December. I made the decision in 2022 that my current 3 girls would be my last guinea pigs after we lost Edward at nearly 7

I always assumed that Ella and Esme would grow old together but we lost Ella at just 4 and a half in October 2023 so I was left with at least 5 year old Elizabeth who had her own health problems and 3 and a half year old Esme. Elizabeth sadly passed away in December so I found myself with single Esme. I knew I couldn’t carry on with the piggy cycle and I also knew she was very lonely and it wouldn’t have been in her best interests to keep her alone.

Wiebke who is a good friend of mine kindly offered to take my last remaining piggy after we chatted when I decided I wanted to end the cycle. It just happened a lot sooner than I anticipated. It was heartbreaking but Esme went to live with Wiebke in January and she is now living as part of a trio with two of Wiebke’s girls and enjoying life to the full

Nobody can tell you what to do and any decision has to be your own but I really wouldn’t leave Bertie as a single. He could live for another year or more. If you really do not want to carry on with the cycle, the retirement home or a foster may be good options to explore

Good luck with whatever you decide x
Thank you Claire. It’s lovely to hear stories of successful rehomings even if the decision was clearly very tough for you.

Thank you Claire. It’s lovely to hear stories of successful rehomings even if the decision was clearly very tough for you.
Thank you, yes, it was very hard and I miss her very much 😞 and also being a piggy mum but I’m happy for Esme that she’s happy and that’s the main thing x

It’s such a hard decision. Is there any rescues that have older boars. old boys have often lost most of their hormones and are often easier to bond, although that still leaves you with that same dilemma. I would try and look further afield for fostering if you can

It’s such a hard decision. Is there any rescues that have older boars. old boys have often lost most of their hormones and are often easier to bond, although that still leaves you with that same dilemma. I would try and look further afield for fostering if you can
That’s what I’m thinking. I’ll need to look further afield - there seems to be an obvious preference for rehoming rather than foster/return. Understandably.

He is on their FB page called George, it doesn't say there he is 6 but I'm sure I saw that somewhere. He is a gorgeous ginger teddy/rex type piggy. If I had space I would have applied for him. I love elderly boars! They may have other's that would be suitable for you, it's definitely worth getting in touch, they don't put singles on their website.

He is on their FB page called George, it doesn't say there he is 6 but I'm sure I saw that somewhere. He is a gorgeous ginger teddy/rex type piggy. If I had space I would have applied for him. I love elderly boars! They may have other's that would be suitable for you, it's definitely worth getting in touch, they don't put singles on their website.
Thank you. I’ve sent them a message.

I've also seen George on Facebook- a fine boar indeed :)
He could potentially be a very cute solution to Bert's loneliness?
I think he's actually about 1 year old though, which could put a spanner in the works...

I've also seen George on Facebook- a fine boar indeed :)
He could potentially be a very cute solution to Bert's loneliness?
I think he's actually about 1 year old though, which could put a spanner in the works...
Someone's got a 6 year old looking for a home. I wonder where I've seen him, will go back over all the sites I visit regularly later and see if I can find him.

You could also try contacting Miss Honey's in Ringwood, Hampshire (lovely helpful couple who let you visit to see their guineas without any pressure) or Mandy's Guinea Pig Rescue with individual fosterers located all around Dorset. Both on Facebook and both reputable. Good luck!

You could also try contacting Miss Honey's in Ringwood, Hampshire (lovely helpful couple who let you visit to see their guineas without any pressure) or Mandy's Guinea Pig Rescue with individual fosterers located all around Dorset. Both on Facebook and both reputable. Good luck!
Many thanks for the recommendations. Happy to travel further afield on recommendation.

Back