Silent Wheeks

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
I have a 4 and a half year old boar called Winston.
Him and his friend lived outside in a hutch for most of his life. I really struggle with mental illness, especially over covid, so I basically only did the necessities for them. I loved them to bits and I regret it now but there was nothing I could do in that time (they were still spoilt rich, I just did not interact with them or take time for them as I should).
He hardly ever popcorned and definitely never wheeked, he was/is very nervous and timid, and I think this may have contributed to it.

I want to just make it clear they were well looked after, they got out in their run with a different layout everyday, and plenty of treats. I just didnt take the time to get to know them properly and get to know their personalities, as much as I loved them.

In November last year it was so cold him and his companion had to come inside, originally for only a few weeks but turned into almost 6 months.
He eventually began to learn a routine and would run back and forth and squeak with excitement. Even after he lost his cage mate, and now has a new baby friend and is back outside in the hutch, he still has this knowledge of when it is nugget time.
He loves his nuggets well and truly, but I have found when he tries to wheek it is just air that comes out. He tries his best bless him but nothing comes out and you can tell he is really trying.

Is this maybe because he does not really know how to wheek? He also has irritant issues with his small nasal canal so I would like to see if anyone else has had this issue.
Perhaps it is just a quirk of his.

P.S - Sorry this is not well written, I am not really sure how to get my point across.

I have a 4 and a half year old boar called Winston.
Him and his friend lived outside in a hutch for most of his life. I really struggle with mental illness, especially over covid, so I basically only did the necessities for them. I loved them to bits and I regret it now but there was nothing I could do in that time (they were still spoilt rich, I just did not interact with them or take time for them as I should).
He hardly ever popcorned and definitely never wheeked, he was/is very nervous and timid, and I think this may have contributed to it.

I want to just make it clear they were well looked after, they got out in their run with a different layout everyday, and plenty of treats. I just didnt take the time to get to know them properly and get to know their personalities, as much as I loved them.

In November last year it was so cold him and his companion had to come inside, originally for only a few weeks but turned into almost 6 months.
He eventually began to learn a routine and would run back and forth and squeak with excitement. Even after he lost his cage mate, and now has a new baby friend and is back outside in the hutch, he still has this knowledge of when it is nugget time.
He loves his nuggets well and truly, but I have found when he tries to wheek it is just air that comes out. He tries his best bless him but nothing comes out and you can tell he is really trying.

Is this maybe because he does not really know how to wheek? He also has irritant issues with his small nasal canal so I would like to see if anyone else has had this issue.
Perhaps it is just a quirk of his.

P.S - Sorry this is not well written, I am not really sure how to get my point across.

Hi

It is not at all uncommon for adult to older piggies to lose their big wheek as their airways narrow a bit with old age and become more flabby. They are just left with a hoarse whisper instead.

It is NOT a sign of illness and is not life shortening; mine - there are several by now that have had this happening - have all lived a perfectly normal to great life span. ;)

Ayway, in a group it is the usually the younger piggies and new arrival that take over the role - and it is most definitely a role that is passed around - of main food wheeker, so it doesn't matter. The hoarse piggies will still follow their instinct and try to chime into the background chorus.

Thank you all!
It is a little funny to see but wanted to double check it wasn’t anything more serious as I had never heard of it before.

Several of my previous older piggies have lost their wheak over time. Evie was quite dramatic to watch - her whole body would go into a dramatic silent hiss wheek to get attention at veggies time. Hazel (the youngster) took up the role of chief wheeker to assist. Please don’t worry about it. It’s a bit of a natural sign of aging.

Several of my previous older piggies have lost their wheak over time. Evie was quite dramatic to watch - her whole body would go into a dramatic silent hiss wheek to get attention at veggies time. Hazel (the youngster) took up the role of chief wheeker to assist. Please don’t worry about it. It’s a bit of a natural sign of aging.
Evie sounds exactly like my Winston, you can tell he is giving it his best shot 🤣

Back