• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Signs of mites?

• Thread starter Thread starter baby-wilson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baby-wilson

Just wondering if there are any signs of mites to look out for?
Is it normal for a himi: where my new pigs fur starts just behind his ears underneath the hair looks a bit red... normal?

Just want to double check I dont want to pass anything onto Wilson and Cindy :) Theyre healthy and I want it to stay that way ;D

Thanks!

I got this from this site:
http://www.guinealynx.com/mites.html

Look what is said for signs, hope this helps you :)

Signs: These species specific microscopic mites cause unbearable itchiness for the animal and can result in thinning and/or patchy loss of hair, scurfing of the skin (may resemble dandruff) and eventually, open sores as a result of extreme scratching and biting which aggravates the hair loss. Scratching an area of skin infested by mites by hand may produce such pain and irritation in your cavy that it looks like it's having a fit. A guinea pig suffering from mites may become less friendly and be reluctant to interact with its owner.

While skin scrapings may confirm mites, scrapings are frequently omitted because they are so unreliable (see MISDIAGNOSIS below). Often a vet will administer ivermectin in the presence only of itching and hair loss, treating for other conditions such as fungal infections in the absence of improvement. It is important to note that your cavy may be suffering from more than one condition.

:) thanks for that!

He doesnt like the top of his head touched... just an annoyence or maybe it tickles but not mites? I'm sure its not I just want to make sure ;D

Hmm, well maybe you should take him to the vet to get check, just in case :D O0

;D might do that... he is fine and everything and if he does have mites or whatever he would have already passed them lol i think thats just the way his skin is...

He looks like the white version and what my next door neighbour had, their fur is like all over the place, and it doesn't go in one direction does it?

Because your new guinea is an Aby cross their hair grows in different directions so when you stroke him on the head your more then likely be stroking some hairs the wrong way, which we know all guineas don't like. As for mites I would take him down the vets one to make sure he hasn't got any mites and two just to make sure he is healthy. I always take new animals down the vets for their first checkout. :)

:) thanks everyone...

Ali-1991 said:
He looks like the white version and what my next door neighbour had, their fur is like all over the place, and it doesn't go in one direction does it?

;D nope his hair is all over the place ;D
He is like the white version of the piggy we bought home before we got Cindy... he was tri-colour abby but we had to take him back because we thought Wilson was a girl ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back