Signs Of Dehydration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hzlhrst

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Both of my piggies seem to go by with very little water...are there any signs I should look for to check if they are dehydrated? Also, is there a minimum amount they should take from their bottle daily?

:hmm:tricky to explain! But hear gos! Finger just under the bottom eye lid and jentaly down , usualy a good indicator if there is a large gap, and in sever cases what looks like bone becomes vesible , then that could be a pig that is dehydrated
Though if you havent used this methord before, you are best dooing it to a known healthy hydrated pig

Also get to know the feel of your pig,
Consusly be aware of the weight and muscle mass , once you know the feel , you shold be able to detect any sutle changes .
When l was a child we used to refare to a pooly or dehydrated pig as "feelling light"

Last edited:
Thank you I will try this!

When they drink the bottle has bubbles so I know the water is coming out, but the amount of water never seems to really go down. Does this mean they are getting enough water from their veggies so they don't need to drink a lot?

:D Yes, if your piggies are getting a good amount of veg, they will not drink a huge amount of water. A good thing is to get to know how much your piggies drink each day. Then you will know when their intake is down. Some pigs drink more than others. Small, thin, mis-shaped droppings are another way to tell if your pig is dehydrated. Also, if you pinch the loose skin on the back of the neck, lift it up and release it, it should snap back into place. If it is slow to go back, that is dehydration.

Not all pigs drink a lot of water if they are getting it from other sources. A good and easy way to assess for dehydration is to pinch the scruff of the neck. If it takes time to return to normal, this is a sign of dehydration. Dehydrated animals may also be lethargic, have dry eyes, minimal urination, and droppings that look small or poorly shaped.

@gizzy they're absolutely fine, seeming very happy and healthy :) it's just me being a worrier haha, still am, always will :P

I think it's a minimum of 40mls a day that they should drink? Although that includes water from veg too. Joe gets loads of veg and he doesn't drink a huge amount, vet says he's not dehydrated though. You could always try tenting the skin between their shoulder blades to see if they are dehydrated :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back