• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Signs of a stroke?

HeatherW

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sam has been showing his age a bit recently with some impaction and generally looking a bit slow and more relaxed than usual over the last few months.

However, I've just gone to clean him and Daisy out, and he's looking rather unsteady on his legs and perhaps even a little confused. He's hasn't reacted to me like he normally does, getting up and shuffling out of the way; he's stayed lying down and, when encouraged to move, has kind of bunny-hopped his way forwards. Sam's a pretty chilled chonk, but he feels a little too relaxed when I pick him up, and seems a bit wonky when I put him down.

I've moved his hind legs about and he's got good range, and isn't flinching. What are the signs of a stroke in guineas? He seems otherwise happy and not in any pain. I gave him some Metacam just in case, which he inhaled in his usual fashion. 😄

PXL_20240923_190802514_exported_52904.webp

Not sure if this could apply to him, but my boy was bunny hopping and it was an inner ear infection.

Sam has been showing his age a bit recently with some impaction and generally looking a bit slow and more relaxed than usual over the last few months.

However, I've just gone to clean him and Daisy out, and he's looking rather unsteady on his legs and perhaps even a little confused. He's hasn't reacted to me like he normally does, getting up and shuffling out of the way; he's stayed lying down and, when encouraged to move, has kind of bunny-hopped his way forwards. Sam's a pretty chilled chonk, but he feels a little too relaxed when I pick him up, and seems a bit wonky when I put him down.

I've moved his hind legs about and he's got good range, and isn't flinching. What are the signs of a stroke in guineas? He seems otherwise happy and not in any pain. I gave him some Metacam just in case, which he inhaled in his usual fashion. 😄

View attachment 257175

Hi

I am very sorry.

You can find information on Strokes and other neurological issues and symptoms in this guide link here (see part 2)

Fingers very firmly crossed. Please speak to a vet clinic. Keep him as quiet, calm and comfy as you can.

I couldn't get him to move much, but it's noticeable in the first and last 15 seconds of this video.

My Rosie bunny hopped when she had tummy issues. I hope a vet can help you, sending healing vibes to handsome Sam.

I couldn't get him to move much, but it's noticeable in the first and last 15 seconds of this video.

Hi

It rather looks like a potential pain issue to me? Bunny hopping can have lots of different causes; including arthritis in the lower spine which could also be behind the impaction. It needs a vet examination if it persists. What it usually isn't in well kept guinea pigs is scurvy unless you are over-supplementing over a longer period.

Re. neurological issues that is very difficult to diagnose, especially if it is more of a fleeting experience. All you can do right now is to keep him as normal in his familiar surroundings as possible and see how it goes.

The vet checked my Wonky Chonky over today and, after a bit of manipulation, it was determined that his right hip and joint are bothering him. We've upped the Metacam to 0.8ml twice a day for 5 days to see if there's any improvement, and then to stop it and see how he gets on. The next step is x-rays if he's not better. Hopefully it's just a sprain as it came on quite suddenly, but he has been moving around gradually a bit less over the last couple of months, so there's the possibility that it's arthritis.

It's good news that it's not a stroke!

Back