• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Side effects of buprenorphine

Josie_lg

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have made a new thread to ask about the side effects of buprenorphine. my girl has been having ongoing treatment since a cystotomy to remove a bladder stone 9 weeks ago, we are now dealing with sludge in the bladder and unfortunately as of yesterday’s vet trip a hernia that’s formed above the surgery site. Yesterday the vet gave a big bolus of fluids and some bupe to try and help her flush the bladder out as she’s been very uncomfortable with it. Since the bupe injection she’s been extremely lethargic and fluffed up. Wasn’t eating much last night and was doing crazy shaped poops. The vet warned me it would make her sleepy but I didn’t expect her to act this unwell (she was NOT this bad before the injection so I know it’s got to be that)
I’ve been up overnight syringe feeding her. She ate her veggies with the rest of the pigs this morning. She’s weeing okay. And she is passing poops-less and misshapen still but they look better than last night. She’s also honking. My question is does anyone have any experience with a piggie being this unwell after bupe-I don’t know the dose that was given but the vet did say she gave the lower dose.
It’s been a really rough night and she’s been acting almost how she was post surgery. I’m even more nervous because of this hernia that has appeared! The vet advised either surgery or monitor for now. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

Hi, I am not as expert but as far as I am aware, buprenorphine is an opioid which can affect them in a negative way and does make them sleepy. There’s been members on here where their pigs have been quite poorly after taking it. The affects should wear off but if she’s puffy and honking, I would give the vet a call and see if this is normal x

My Winifred was given buprenorphine (vetergesic) to try in addition to her metacam, for her arthritis. I did feel it made her even less active, maybe lethargic, and didn't seem to help. After the 5 day trial we switched to Tramadol (Tralieve tablets crushed into a suspension in water) which does help her pain, and she is still having it now.

I've had 2 piggies sleepy and not interested in eating for several days after buprenorphne. I had to syringe feed them little and often as they couldn't stay awake long enough to swallow much. I've also had guinea pigs who have had it and after a few hours it's gone out of their systems and they have been back to normal other obviously than effects of whatever surgery they had.
I hope your girl picks up soon, syringe feeding gets exhausting.

Hi, I am not as expert but as far as I am aware, buprenorphine is an opioid which can affect them in a negative way and does make them sleepy. There’s been members on here where their pigs have been quite poorly after taking it. The affects should wear off but if she’s puffy and honking, I would give the vet a call and see if this is normal x
Thank you for your reply. I’ve been in touch with the vet. It’s such a worrying time.

My Winifred was given buprenorphine (vetergesic) to try in addition to her metacam, for her arthritis. I did feel it made her even less active, maybe lethargic, and didn't seem to help. After the 5 day trial we switched to Tramadol (Tralieve tablets crushed into a suspension in water) which does help her pain, and she is still having it now.
Oh bless her. I hope your little piggie is doing okay. Apart from the painful wees she was fine before this injection. I wish we hadn’t agreed to do it now. But we make these decisions because we think it’s the right one at the time. I don’t think I’ll ever want her to have it again:(

I've had 2 piggies sleepy and not interested in eating for several days after buprenorphne. I had to syringe feed them little and often as they couldn't stay awake long enough to swallow much. I've also had guinea pigs who have had it and after a few hours it's gone out of their systems and they have been back to normal other obviously than effects of whatever surgery they had.
Several days! Wow. It’s over 24 hours now and she’s the same. I wouldn’t say worse but not much better. She is eating bits here and there but I am syringe feeding. I’m so worried. Just want her back to normal now. I wonder how common it is for them to be poorly like that for a few days after the injection. It’s supposed to wear off out of their system after 8 hours.

And did she have wierd poops too. I suppose from the lack of eating and lethargy it slows everything down. Oh I hate it! Just want my poppy back to normal.

Yes, poop output is 2 days behind input so it takes a while to pick up again once they start to eat well again too. Unfortunately you have to keep syringe feeding until they eat enough on their own again. I weigh daily first thing in the morning and adjust how much I feed against how much weight they have lost. It's exhausting having a sick piggy whose not eating, I feel for you. Hopefully Poppy will start picking up and being more awake tomorrow, if you are worried she's not right please speak to your vet.

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre

I would give her probiotics to help balance her gut as well. I am sorry for so many posts but I am having trouble linking in threads, they disappear before I can paste when I try to return to my thread.
I really appreciate all the posts thank you. Yes we have her on probiotics already. If she’s still not good tomorrow I’ll have to take her back. But the vet thinks this is because of the hernia. Whereas I’m certain it’s due to the buprenorphine!

I’ve had one piggy who took well over 24 hours to come out of a zombie state after an injection of buprecare. She needed syringe feeding and I had to remind her to swallow each mouthful.

I’ve had one piggy who took well over 24 hours to come out of a zombie state after an injection of buprecare. She needed syringe feeding and I had to remind her to swallow each mouthful.
It’s good to know others are experiencing the same thing too. Did she perk up quite quickly after that or did it take her a while to get back to her normal self. I am worried to giver her the gabapentin that she’s been on for her bladder pain !

She is still eating but I am also syringe feeding her. She’s still sad and very out of it and not passing many poops. She’s having probiotics 3 times daily (fibreplex) I didn’t give her the metacam due to the upset tummy. And I’m hesitant to give her the gabapentin despite her being on this for weeks as I’m just so scared of making her worse. I’m going to see if we can get some metaclop tomorrow. But I may well have to stay off work to feed her if she doesn’t improve soon.

Sorry Poppy is still lethargic, I hope she starts to return to normal very soon. Its good though that she is still producing some poops, that shows her gut is working so it should speed up when she does.

I don't think metacam causes upset tummies, so I would be inclined to continue with it - she'll need something to relieve the pain as the buprenorphine wears off.

Sending healing vibes 💓

Sorry Poppy is still lethargic, I hope she starts to return to normal very soon. Its good though that she is still producing some poops, that shows her gut is working so it should speed up when she does.

I don't think metacam causes upset tummies, so I would be inclined to continue with it - she'll need something to relieve the pain as the buprenorphine wears off.

Sending healing vibes 💓
I wasn’t sure. As I know metacam is contraindicated in dogs and cats with upset tummies but I will start giving it again today as her poops are better.
She’s doing much better today. She’s eating but still eating a bit slower than normal but came out for veggies this morning and is coming over to the hay to eat now rather than me leaving it by where she’s sitting. Her poops are much better too. She still looks a little zoned out but much better. It’s around 40 hours since the injection now. Crazy!

Metacam does not cause upset tummies in piggies. Piggies handle it differently to cats and dogs.

I'm glad she is doing better

Back