• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sick Piggy

• Thread starter Thread starter spitcher88
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spitcher88

Hi Everyone,

One of my boars has completely gone off food, within the last day. I'm dead sure because he wouldn't even touch a big pile of kale (which is his favorite). He's eating hay and dry food in little bit's and I convinced him to have one piece of cucumber. I'm going to take him to the vets tonight but was wondering if anyone has had this before? What was the outcome etc...anything would be appreciated so I have a rough idea what could be going on.. :(

Thanks for reading,

has he lost any weight? i'm not sure, this could be anything, i don't think it's teeth if he's eating hay and dry food, maybe something to do with stomach? is he pooing normally? is he drinking? if he's not drinking, you'll need to syringe that, and likewise if he stops eating.
i'm sorry i'm not much help :( you're doing the right thing taking him to the vets though O0 ((Hugs))) :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks for replying :) I think he has lost a bit, it’s hard to tell as he’s called ‘Skinny Pig’ so he’s naturally thin! He’s drinking plenty, I did think it could be a stomach problem, maybe too many greens?

Sorry I'm probably not going to be much use to you.
I think as long as he is drinking and eating his dry food, just watch him closely
till you go to the vets later.
Good luck
Anne. :)

Thank you, yeah i've been keeping a close eye on him, like I said he was nibbling some cucumber this morning which is good but no greens. Thanks again :) :)

ok, i have a boy that is quite thin too! umm i'd say , as Alfie said, just keep a close eye on him until you go to the vets, if he declines in any way let us know and we'll try to help. :)

cavy love said:
ok, i have a boy that is quite thin too! umm i'd say , as Alfie said, just keep a close eye on him until you go to the vets, if he declines in any way let us know and we'll try to help. :)

Yeah maybe I'm just over-reacting you know? It's just so un-piggy like to turn down food! I'll let you know how the vets go :)

I would advise checking his teeth in case he has a molar spur, and also checking under his chin in case he is starting an abscess. Hope this helps. If he won't, eat you may have to syringe feed (there is a really helpful thread for this with some excellent suggestions)

no! i wasn't suggesting that! noo you're right to be worried, it's SO unpiggylike to leave food! ;D honestly, your right. :)

cavy love said:
no! i wasn't suggesting that! noo you're right to be worried, it's SO unpiggylike to leave food! ;D honestly, your right. :)
Yeah it is very strange, I think I'm going to pamper him a bit tonight ;D and feed him on his own, see how that goes. The vet's has been moved until tomorrow now :tickedoff: but if he goes right downhill I can get an emergency appointment.

Karenza said:
I would advise checking his teeth in case he has a molar spur, and also checking under his chin in case he is starting an abscess. Hope this helps. If he won't, eat you may have to syringe feed (there is a really helpful thread for this with some excellent suggestions)

Thanks for that :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back