• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sick piggy, no diagnosis

amandambyd

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, my Guinea pig (2yr old male) has been to the vet many times and we haven’t yet figured out exactly what’s going on. We originally brought him in for redness on his feet which wasn’t terrible, they prescribed a cream, didn’t work, then prescribed meloxicam, didn’t work, then they prescribed it again and he began to have trouble breathing and lost weight and wasn’t himself. The vet we went to had no availability so they referred us to another exotic vet, who put him on another set of antibiotics and a probiotic on top of meloxicam, after taking an X-ray revealed calcification in his lungs. No improvement, bring him back, I express my suspicions about the meloxicam starting all this, so she discontinues meloxocam but continues the rest of the meds. He improves drastically, after improving she reduces to just baytril and probiotic and he doesn’t seem quite as great but still good, and then when that cycle ended he started to decline rapidly again with weight loss and fatigue and trouble eating. Brought him back, X-ray showed no change in lungs and new calcification of urethra area. Now they put him on baytril again, gabapentin, critical care for food, probiotic, urinary supplement. He seems to be doing slightly better since starting this 5 days ago but I’m just worried something is not being caught here. We have yet to be told any specific diagnosis and have spent almost $2,000 in the past 3 months. Any suggestions? He has one cage mate with a expansive set up, Guinea dad fleece liners spot cleaned 2x daily and washed weekly with pet friendly detergent, plenty of chews, toys, hay, Sherwood pellets, water, hides, and he receives fresh veggies once daily. I welcome any and all ideas or advice because I feel completely discouraged.

Hi, my Guinea pig (2yr old male) has been to the vet many times and we haven’t yet figured out exactly what’s going on. We originally brought him in for redness on his feet which wasn’t terrible, they prescribed a cream, didn’t work, then prescribed meloxicam, didn’t work, then they prescribed it again and he began to have trouble breathing and lost weight and wasn’t himself. The vet we went to had no availability so they referred us to another exotic vet, who put him on another set of antibiotics and a probiotic on top of meloxicam, after taking an X-ray revealed calcification in his lungs. No improvement, bring him back, I express my suspicions about the meloxicam starting all this, so she discontinues meloxocam but continues the rest of the meds. He improves drastically, after improving she reduces to just baytril and probiotic and he doesn’t seem quite as great but still good, and then when that cycle ended he started to decline rapidly again with weight loss and fatigue and trouble eating. Brought him back, X-ray showed no change in lungs and new calcification of urethra area. Now they put him on baytril again, gabapentin, critical care for food, probiotic, urinary supplement. He seems to be doing slightly better since starting this 5 days ago but I’m just worried something is not being caught here. We have yet to be told any specific diagnosis and have spent almost $2,000 in the past 3 months. Any suggestions? He has one cage mate with a expansive set up, Guinea dad fleece liners spot cleaned 2x daily and washed weekly with pet friendly detergent, plenty of chews, toys, hay, Sherwood pellets, water, hides, and he receives fresh veggies once daily. I welcome any and all ideas or advice because I feel completely discouraged.

Hi and welcome

HUGS

I am very sorry. I don't think that the metacam is causing the problem since the calcification has started before it was prescribed and has continued to spread after it was taken off again.

Unfortunately, it is one of those very rare genetically caused progressive problems against which there is no established help due to their rarity. Any vets have to go by what they have learned about other species with comparable issues and go by trial and error as to what works in your specific case and what not.
It is one of the issues that has only come on the horizon due to better diagnostics so we have perhaps seen a handful of cases on here; sadly none with a good outcome. I wish we had better news. :(

Hi thanks for your reply- you don’t think it’s weird that all of this started after meloxicam? Calcifications and breathing problems didn’t start until after that med started. The original problem was red feet, and that hasn’t improved nor gotten worse at all throughout this which makes me wonder if his feet are just naturally more red and he’s been over medicated? I can’t help but wonder these things!

Thanks again for your kind words,
Amanda

It’s unlikely the meloxicom is causing any issue. It’s the most commonly used anti inflammatory with many piggies on it long term for various conditions. Id he now isn’t on it and issues are continuing then that adds more weight to the fact the meloxicom was never causing any issue.

Redness of the feet. It really depends on what you are seeing here. Their feet can be red when they are hot, some are just naturally redder. Neither of which is a problem which can or needs to be medicated.
It’s only really an issue if there are open wounds and sores (bumblefoot).

Also, he seems to get way better on antibiotics every time, but then worse when we take him off… wondering what this might mean- we can’t keep him on antibiotics forever I don’t think!

Hi thanks for your reply- you don’t think it’s weird that all of this started after meloxicam? Calcifications and breathing problems didn’t start until after that med started. The original problem was red feet, and that hasn’t improved nor gotten worse at all throughout this which makes me wonder if his feet are just naturally more red and he’s been over medicated? I can’t help but wonder these things!

Thanks again for your kind words,
Amanda

Hi

The calcification would have been already ongoing. I have also never heard of or come across of either in 15 years on this forum with literally tens of thousands of questions and hundreds of thousands of posts in just this section nor in my own nearly 100 piggies over several decades.

Red feet are definitely not caused by metacam; if they are all fully red, a piggy is simply shedding the excess heat through increased blood flow in the skin, especially the ears but also the feet. That is how they regulate their body temperature normally. Guinea pigs don't have sweat glands. Red patches on the soles is from surface irritation; that could have got worse as a reaction of being unwell and not as mobile but there is no direct relation to the metacam. The metacam simply could not stop or work on a major surge in the ongoing calcification process since it is not inflammatory and there is no swelling involved. ;)

Antibiotics can sometimes temporarily suppress ongoing health issues but they cannot cure them. They should however not be used/abused long term for the purpose of suppressing non-bacterial symptoms.

I appreciate that this is leaving you very unsatisfied and adrift again but owners do not rarely notice other things when they look closely at their ill piggies that are coincidental and not related.
If metacam was really involved, the calcification process should have stopped instead of spreading to other organs in the time since it was stopped. Coincidences happen more often than you would think but when you are desperately looking for causes and not coincidences, you can easily put two and two together and get the wrong end of the stick. That is how a lot of the medical online myths have started off.

Hi everyone, just wanted to give an update that we put Douglas to sleep today. The vet stated he was suffering and we did everything we could, but that didn’t make it any easier. At 2 years old it’s a reminder that you really don’t know how much time you’ll get with your baby. 😢 Thanks for all your support.❤️

Attachments

• IMG_8693_VSCO.webp
    IMG_8693_VSCO.webp
    66.4 KB · Views: 1
Hi everyone, just wanted to give an update that we put Douglas to sleep today. The vet stated he was suffering and we did everything we could, but that didn’t make it any easier. At 2 years old it’s a reminder that you really don’t know how much time you’ll get with your baby. 😢 Thanks for all your support.❤️
Oh Douglas you adorable boy popcorn happily over The Rainbow Bridge now pain-free. I am so sorry for your loss it breaks your heart doesn't it, be kind to yourself as you grieve 🌈

Sleep well and popcorn high over the rainbow bridge gorgeous Douglas ❤️🌈

BIG HUGS

Douglas was a very handsome boy.

Having lost young piggies of my own to health issues that could not be controlled, I know how hard it is to lose a younger one.

Douglas was lucky to find such a loving and dedicated owner who has given him as happy a life s they could - and that is what guinea pigs measure their lives by; so you haven't failed him. What you cannot do anything about (nor can your vet) is a genetic disposition and when the bomb in their body they have born with is going off. But you can always give a life meaning, happiness and joy, and that is what ultimately counts so much more than age.

Please be kind with yourself and accept that feelings of failure and guilt are something we all experience at the onset of the grieving process. They are an expression of how deeply we care and have nothing to do with what has actually happened. As humans we are wired to reflect everything back onto ourselves.
You may find our grieving guide helpful, which takes you through all the often unexpected strong feelings and hopefully helps you make sense of what you are experiencing. Grieving is by no means just being sad.
Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

So very sorry you had to say goodbye to Douglas. You clearly did everything you could for your gorgeous piggie. Sleep tight little man 🌈❤️

Back