• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sick guinea pig?

picklepickle124

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!

My guinea pig is named Pickle and he's 3 years old.

He showed signs of being sick yesterday around 10 pm when we realized he hadn't eaten his breakfast. (We also have a bunny and they share the same general area so we weren't sure what was up)

I woke up this morning and he was just so sad looking. He was asleep, covered in his own pee.

Currently he won't eat, and will only sleep. He moves very oddly, and almost uncomfortable. He isn't squeaking. We've gotten him to drink some water but he's currently just layed down on my lap almost vibrating everytime hes breaths.

He hasn't pooped either from what I've seen, and we got him to pee once. He had some eye crustys the went away.

We don't have a vet open tell Monday in my area so any advice? Thank you

I'm sorry to hear this

Please urgently step in with syringe feeding his normal pellets mushed with water as the emergency measure and in the absence of a proper recovery feed (such as oxbow critical care or emeraid).

He sounds to be very sick and trying to keep his gut moving by syringe feeding fibre is essential. Water isn’t enough as it won’t keep the gut functioning.
Not pooping is usually a sign that they haven’t eaten enough/properly for up to 2 days (there is a 1-2 day delay between food intake and poop output).
In a very sick piggy with a total loss of appetite you aim for 40-60ml per 24 hours as the minimum to keep them going.
Switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh him every morning as this is the only way to know you are getting enough syringe feed into him in each 24 hour period to stop him from losing weight.
Hay makes up three quarters of the daily food intake but you cannot gauge it by the hence the need for weight checks.

Is there an emergency vet you can get to (I know it’s not as easy in the US as it is here in the UK) but he does sound like he needs help and may be in pain.

There are many reasons why rabbits and piggies should not share an area - one of them being that rabbits can carry illnesses harmlessly to them which can make piggies very poorly. Of course; that may not be what has occurred here on this occasion but you should let the vet know he has been in contact with a rabbit.
(I keep rabbits and piggies also and ensure there is never any risk of any cross contamination or any sharing of airspace).

The guides below explain the emergency steps you need to take immediately

I'm sorry to hear this

Please urgently step in with syringe feeding his normal pellets mushed with water as the emergency measure and in the absence of a proper recovery feed (such as oxbow critical care or emeraid).

He sounds to be very sick and trying to keep his gut moving by syringe feeding fibre is essential. Water isn’t enough as it won’t keep the gut functioning.
Not pooping is usually a sign that they haven’t eaten enough/properly for up to 2 days (there is a 1-2 day delay between food intake and poop output).
In a very sick piggy with a total loss of appetite you aim for 40-60ml per 24 hours as the minimum to keep them going.
Switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh him every morning as this is the only way to know you are getting enough syringe feed into him in each 24 hour period to stop him from losing weight.
Hay makes up three quarters of the daily food intake but you cannot gauge it by the hence the need for weight checks.

Is there an emergency vet you can get to (I know it’s not as easy in the US as it is here in the UK) but he does sound like he needs help and may be in pain.

There are many reasons why rabbits and piggies should not share an area - one of them being that rabbits can carry illnesses harmlessly to them which can make piggies very poorly. Of course; that may not be what has occurred here on this occasion but you should let the vet know he has been in contact with a rabbit.
(I keep rabbits and piggies also and ensure there is never any risk of any cross contamination or any sharing of airspace).

The guides below explain the emergency steps you need to take immediately

Hello! Thank you so so so much!

Sadly we called 12 places and nothing takes piggies, but we got some kale in him through syringe about an hour or so ago and I just blended some carrots, pellets, hay, and water together and he gobbled it up (about 12 ml) hes moving a lot better now. We're still gonna get him checked out on Monday though!

Hello! Thank you so so so much!

Sadly we called 12 places and nothing takes piggies, but we got some kale in him through syringe about an hour or so ago and I just blended some carrots, pellets, hay, and water together and he gobbled it up (about 12 ml) hes moving a lot better now. We're still gonna get him checked out on Monday though!

It’s best to just use pellet mush for syringe feeding without adding the veg. You will need to cut the tapered end off a syringe to get it to go through properly. Veg, while good he is eating something, isn’t the fibre his gut needs.
Please just mush the pellets and syringe that to him. Then you can offer hay and veg to him after a syringe feed to encourage him to try to eat a bit more for himself.

Please do syringe feed the pellet mush to him every 2-3 hours. The closer to 60ml you can get into him the better.

Back