Sick behavior?

Dollyx

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
For a few days now, Pigeon(female) has been really into Dolly's(female) personal space, which she's never done before. To the point that Dolly is constantly having to tell her off, which causes Pigeon to squeal in return.

Could this be because the both of them have something going on with them right now? Pigeon's been on medicine for almost a week now for her gut, while I only found out about Dolly's problems last Thursday, and that Thursday is when Pigeon began to constantly annoy Dolly in her space.

What is actually going on with them?

It may be that she is simply looking for comfort but as her friend also doesn’t feel well she doesn’t feel like giving it.

Perhaps you could elaborate on the medical issues they both have.

For example, you mention one having a gut issue - a piggy with an upset tummy may try to eat the companions poops as a way of helping rebalance and settle their own gut. That is normal and actually a good thing if the companion is healthy. But as you havent said what Dolly’s issues are, if she is on a medication - antibiotics for example - then pigeon trying to eat dolly’s poops won’t help as her gut will also be out of balance.
Giving a probiotic to any piggy on antibiotics or with an upset tummy is a good move to help them particularly if poop soup isn’t an option as the companion is also unwell

What is actually going on with them?

It may be that she is simply looking for comfort but as her friend also doesn’t feel well she doesn’t feel like giving it.

Perhaps you could elaborate on the medical issues they both have.

For example, you mention one having a gut issue - a piggy with an upset tummy may try to eat the companions poops as a way of helping rebalance and settle their own gut. That is normal and actually a good thing if the companion is healthy. But as you havent said what Dolly’s issues are, if she is on a medication - antibiotics for example - then pigeon trying to eat dolly’s poops won’t help as her gut will also be out of balance.
Giving a probiotic to any piggy on antibiotics or with an upset tummy is a good move to help them particularly if poop soup isn’t an option as the companion is also unwell
Oh, yes! Dolly has a bladder stone and ovarian cysts, which she is going to have surgery for this Friday, and since last Friday Dolly has been on the same pain medicine as Pigeon. I haven't seen Pigeon eating Dolly's poops, either. I've only seen Pigeon start this behavior when Dolly started being in pain last Thursday

If this is just Pigeon seeking out comfort from Dolly, then I feel bad for her as Dolly is most certainly not willing to give it 🥲

Good luck Dolly, I hope it goes well for her on Friday. Do read up on the post op care guide in the Guinea Pig Info section so you are prepared for when she gets home

Good luck Dolly, I hope it goes well for her on Friday. Do read up on the post op care guide in the Guinea Pig Info section so you are prepared for when she gets home
Thank you! I've been so worried about it

Back