• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sick Baby Guinea

Ccrisp1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and so glad I found it there's so much info available here. I acquired a 2-month-old baby who was lethargic, not eating or drinking, and teeth were overgrown. Her diet wasn't the best and she had some roaches in her habitat. I have other guineas so I was happy to give her a home. We have an appointment tomorrow at the vet's office where I intern. I have been syringing water and critical care around the clock for 2 days. I filed her top teeth down so she can chew carrots now. My question is she's not producing any poops. The vet is aware of the syringe feedings and told me to continue. Has anyone seen anything like this? Any insight is deeply appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry it's in such sad circumstances. I have no advice just want to offer support.

Hi and glad to hear you have an appointment and fingers crossed for her. Keep feeding her if she is swallowing the critical care and you should weigh her every morning to monitor her weight. I don't think carrots are the best in general but if it's all she will eat at the moment I guess it's ok until you get some proper advice from the vet. 💕

Hi, I'm new to this forum and so glad I found it there's so much info available here. I acquired a 2-month-old baby who was lethargic, not eating or drinking, and teeth were overgrown. Her diet wasn't the best and she had some roaches in her habitat. I have other guineas so I was happy to give her a home. We have an appointment tomorrow at the vet's office where I intern. I have been syringing water and critical care around the clock for 2 days. I filed her top teeth down so she can chew carrots now. My question is she's not producing any poops. The vet is aware of the syringe feedings and told me to continue. Has anyone seen anything like this? Any insight is deeply appreciated.

Hi and welcome

Poor little one! :(

Are you weighing her daily on your normal kitchen scales first thing in the morning for best day to day comparison? Please be aware that what you are replacing are the ca. 80% of hay that make the bulk of the daily food intake. All other food groups together (veg and herbs, fresh and dried forage, pellets and treats) only fill the supplementry role of wild forage. You are aiming ideally at 60 ml or more over the course of 24 hours.

Have you held your ear to the belly and listened whether there are normal gut noises or none/very little (GI stasis)? Is she actively taking on food and swallowing it?

Welcome to the forum and I just want to offer support.
This little has landed on her paws with you.
Hope she improves under your loving care

Sending hugs to you, it’s a very difficult time, hang in there. I hope the vet can help this little one

Welcome to the forum. I hope the vet visit went well? 🤞🏻

Back