Shy Pig

Breannaclark

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I recently got 2 guinea pigs, I probably was wrong in where I got them (pet store) but I want to do the best for them. How long does it take for them to settle in? I’ve noticed popcorning so I can tell they’re happy, but the one (dumbo) is very skittish and runs to the other side of the cage if I open it to refill water or food. Twix is a little more calm and will let me hold him and will curl up on my shoulder and sleep. Also does anyone have any good links for what their noises mean?

Attachments

• E95D9B04-29E9-4E0A-947B-E6A1A9D445AC.webp
    E95D9B04-29E9-4E0A-947B-E6A1A9D445AC.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 17
Over time they will start to trust you. In the beginning, they need to get used to their new surroundings. You should hand feed them veggies often, and they will start becoming more comfortable around you. Also, in the picture your guinea pigs don’t look very comfortable, you should always be holding them with both hands to insure that they don’t fall.

Over time they will start to trust you. In the beginning, they need to get used to their new surroundings. You should hand feed them veggies often, and they will start becoming more comfortable around you. Also, in the picture your guinea pigs don’t look very comfortable, you should always be holding them with both hands to insure that they don’t fall.
Thank you, I was almost fully leaked back so it was a pretty flat surface. What veggies are best to try? And how long does it usually take to build that trust?

As prey animals it is very normal for piggies to be shy, and how long settling in takes will vary hugely - it can take weeks, months or even years in some cases. Even fully settled piggies will scatter when startled.

Let them settle in for the first week. Cover part of their cage with a blanket so they feel secure and comfortable to explode their cage and leave them to it, with you only feeding, watering, spot

From the second week, start sitting by their cage and talking to them. You can start to offer food from your hand but it could be quite some time before they take it. Follow their lead, only do what they are comfortable with. You need a lot of patience with piggies but you will get there!

One of mine took food from me after six weeks. He became much more confident and was happy to stay out and about while I was around.
The other one took 18 months before he was brave enough to take food from me. He was curious but not brave, he wouldn’t come forward and chose to hide the whole time watching from a distance! After the first 18 months of perseverance, he realised he could trust me and started to take food from me. Now three years down the line, he doesn’t run off and he is happy to go about his piggy business when I’m there. He just isn’t as confident as the other one and never will be - it’s his character. However, neither like being cuddled. I only handle them for their weekly health checks and they are ok with that - certainly ok with it for long enough for me to do what I need to do (weigh, clip nails, brush and clip the long haired piggy, give medication if needed) but have no trouble telling me when they’ve had enough!

Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

In terms of food, hay is the most important part of their diet. Ensure it is available to them in large quantities at all times.
They can have one cup of veg per piggy per day.
Then just one tablespoon per pig per day of low calcium, ideally grain free guinea pig pellets. These are the least healthy and least important part of the diet. Ensure they are kept strictly limited and they are never allowed constant access to pellets.
Ensure any new veg is introduced slowly into the diet to ensure it doesn’t cause a tummy upset.
Keep high sugar items such as carrot and fruit to no more than one small piece once per week only.
Keep high calcium items such as kale, parsley and spinach to one type, one small amount once per week only. Too much calcium in the diet can cause bladder problems. Most calcium comes from pellets (so this is why they need to be kept limited) and water, so if you filter their drinking water then it goes a long way to helping.

Below are our feeding guides. The second lists the veg which they can and cannot have. The first guide has a sample plate of daily veggies along with the portion size.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading

Last edited:
I would also say that sitting still won’t necessarily mean they enjoy being held. They may not yet feel settled enough to let you know what they do or don’t like. Patience is the key ☺️

And also, all noises are context based so there are no guides for their noises. You have to go by their body language and what they are doing at time to work out whether it is a happy or unhappy noise

Hard-won trust is the most satisfying sort of trust. It will all be worth it in the end 💕

Absolutely! After a year and a half of perseverance with Popcorn and him being so nervous, the day he took food from me and he realised I wasn't going to hurt him was such a fantastic day!

One let me feed him today! The other is still pretty shy. He’s shy but vocal. Constantly making noises. And I think happy. He loves to run and jump around his cage. They both go nose to nose with my cats at the cage bars.

One let me feed him today! The other is still pretty shy. He’s shy but vocal. Constantly making noises. And I think happy. He loves to run and jump around his cage. They both go nose to nose with my cats at the cage bars.
It’s good one is eating from your hand! What I would say is to please not let your cat interact with them, whether separated by bars or not.

It’s good one is eating from your hand! What I would say is to please not let your cat interact with them, whether separated by bars or not.
Can I ask why? I get the whole predator/prey aspect, but the bars are too thin for my cat to reach through and they’re declawed (not my decision)

It’s something to be incredibly careful about. Given piggies can die of fright, if your cat crept up on them or tried to stalk them then there is a risk there. There is also no benefit for either the cat or the piggies for them to be interacting even through the bars.

They’re also different species with different ways of communicating. What do you think it would benefit them to interact?

I guess we've just heard some stories on here that have had a sad ending... and inevitably it was something that wasn't foreseen. Your puss might never think of harming them but another that follows it in one day, or that you're looking after for a friend, might go for the piggies. My neighbour had a cat that would open the kitchen door so her dog could get through and raid the fridge (and then spew all over the floor) Dog could get into the fridge but not into the kitchen... cat apparently used to open the kitchen door then just sit on the table and watch! Who knows what they think? I guess we're just saying be careful - protect them and you're protecting yourself. We would hate for you to be breaking your heart one day on the 'Rainbow' thread saying "Why did I..." 💕

Back