Shy male and talkative Female guinea pig bonding. Any advice?

Jenthehen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Sorry if this is too long.

So I have a 2 year old male guinea pig and I recently got a baby female to get him out of his shell because he is very shy. They are in separate cages for now until he gets neutered and even then I want to wait for her to grow up a bit so they'll be apart for a while.

My boy is named Alfredo and he's very anxious, I suspect he got bullied while living at wherever my parents got him from because he has two bite holes on his ears as if the other guinea pigs ate the tip of his ears. I was originally going to get him a male companion but we saw my little girl Brownie getting bullied by her sisters and I just had to take her, she reminded me of my poor Alfredo when he was a baby (he wasn't originally mine but I'm now his main owner).

I don't think he would do well with another male based on his behavior and personality anyway, Brownie loves him and talks to him all the time. He is a lot less enthusiastic but also curious and he chats back (which he barely ever does, he is usually very quiet and enjoys being alone). I'm looking for advice for the future when I do put them together, what are good signs and what are bad signs when bonding them? What age is good for her to meet him after his neuter and the months after recovery(She is 3 months currently)? Will it work out when he is shy + lazy and she is talkative + hyper?

Sorry if this is too long.

So I have a 2 year old male guinea pig and I recently got a baby female to get him out of his shell because he is very shy. They are in separate cages for now until he gets neutered and even then I want to wait for her to grow up a bit so they'll be apart for a while.

My boy is named Alfredo and he's very anxious, I suspect he got bullied while living at wherever my parents got him from because he has two bite holes on his ears as if the other guinea pigs ate the tip of his ears. I was originally going to get him a male companion but we saw my little girl Brownie getting bullied by her sisters and I just had to take her, she reminded me of my poor Alfredo when he was a baby (he wasn't originally mine but I'm now his main owner).

I don't think he would do well with another male based on his behavior and personality anyway, Brownie loves him and talks to him all the time. He is a lot less enthusiastic but also curious and he chats back (which he barely ever does, he is usually very quiet and enjoys being alone). I'm looking for advice for the future when I do put them together, what are good signs and what are bad signs when bonding them? What age is good for her to meet him after his neuter and the months after recovery(She is 3 months currently)? Will it work out when he is shy + lazy and she is talkative + hyper?

Hi

We have got plenty of information, pictures and videos on all the stages of the bonding process with their attendant behaviours as well as more tips and videos on cross gender bonding. Your boy will wake up once your sow is coming into season and he gets a full dose of pheromones. As you sow is happy to chat with him, signs of her accepting him are good.

Here are some helpful links:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

Here is our information pack for boar neutering, which you may find very helpful: Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Back