Shy guinea pig and veggies

Fizzali

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

We adopted two guinea pigs a couple of weeks ago. One of them is much bolder and now wheeks when she hears the fridge door! I put out a big plate of veggies for them every evening, and she will come out of her hidey and get stuck in. The other one is much more reserved and I have yet to see her come out and eat in the open, though she will occasionally sneak out and very quickly take a piece and retreat. I have started putting veg for her in the hidey where she is sitting, but her cheeky friend quite often muscles in and takes it for herself! I put out the equivalent of a cup each but I reckon that Little Miss Confident is getting at least 80%! Wondering if there is a way I haven't thought of to make sure she gets her share? Also is it possible she may never be confident enough to come out and eat? They are in our main living space so we are in there most of the time walking around.

I would scatter some of the veg away from the hide so the confident piggy doesn’t take her veg. Or you could hand the veg to the confident pig first then give the other her portion. Does she come out when you’re around? Perhaps cover one side of the cage so she can feel safer.

She may become more confident but it can take some longer than others to do so.

I would scatter some of the veg away from the hide so the confident piggy doesn’t take her veg. Or you could hand the veg to the confident pig first then give the other her portion. Does she come out when you’re around? Perhaps cover one side of the cage so she can feel safer.

She may become more confident but it can take some longer than others to do so.
:agr: Good advice here

Thank you - yes, I've been putting veg for the confident one on a plate away from the hide, but also hidden some around the cage for her to find which she loves, but she is taking that and then still going into the hide and taking the bits for the other pig, even when I have left it literally under shy piggie's nose :-(

I have half the cage covered in a blanket and two hideys with 2 exits - at the moment she shows a very strong preference for one of the hideys.
She does come out when I'm around but very cautiously. She doesn't come up to me like the other one does but sometimes she lets me stroke her and has let me pick her up twice for a cuddle. 90% of the time she runs like mad if I try to stroke her though, seems to depend on her mood!

I would take it very slowly and at her pace. Aim to get her taking food from your hand. That does show trust.

You also have to be careful that she’s in ‘prey’ mode when she lets you pick her up. They do have the wiring that if they don’t move the predator will think they’re dead.

Patience is one of the key things you need for piggy slaveship 😊

I like to think of it as making friends rather than taming. Because it's such a long process every little bit of progress is so rewarding.

Back