Should we bond an elderly bereaved piggy?

Storm and Daisy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Our lovely Storm sadly passed away during the night and her sister Daisy is now left on her own.
I know the normal thing would be to find a new friend for Daisy to bond with.
I’m just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or advice as she is quite elderly and has some health problems of her own.
We don’t know 100% exact age, but round about 7 years or possibly even 8.
I am wondering how likely she would be to successfully bond at her age.
So far she seems to be getting on with things and has been eating, drinking pooping as normal.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
I’ve attached a picture of them snuggled up together just last week❤️

Attachments

• C43E50CD-8BF3-4068-B02D-AF1633CB00DA.webp
    C43E50CD-8BF3-4068-B02D-AF1633CB00DA.webp
    111.7 KB · Views: 10
Our lovely Storm sadly passed away during the night and her sister Daisy is now left on her own.
I know the normal thing would be to find a new friend for Daisy to bond with.
I’m just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or advice as she is quite elderly and has some health problems of her own.
We don’t know 100% exact age, but round about 7 years or possibly even 8.
I am wondering how likely she would be to successfully bond at her age.
So far she seems to be getting on with things and has been eating, drinking pooping as normal.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
I’ve attached a picture of them snuggled up together just last week❤️

Hi

I am very sory for your loss!

All you can do is try. I have had old ladies who preferred to have company (even sows they had a fall-out with earlier in their lives) and others who wouldn't.

I've currently got a bereaved single sow coming up to 6 years who has managed to get into a kerfuffle with even my most gentle sow during a bonding attempt. Cerian has company through the bars. Her neighbours were three old sows coming up to 7 years; two feuding sisters and the widow from a mixed gender pair who had all decided that company aced any old grudges and the need to come out on top... Trying to bond Cerian with them lasted all of 5 minutes. :(

My oldest adoptee was a 7 year old bereaved sow who had gradually become depressed and very clingy although she did well initially. It took 10 months of living alongside with my then single 'rebel' sow but eventually the two would move in with each other and become best of friends. Calli lived to celebrate her 9th birthday thanks to her renewed zest of life and left her companion Tegan - who mourned her loss - willing to make compromises for companionship for the rest of her life (she died not long before her 8th birthday).

Three of my adoptees in October 2021 after a spell of several deaths in quick succession were bereaved end-of life companionship piggies aged between a few months to 4 years that had returned to the rescue I adopted them from as a permanent home.

I would recommend to contact Gertie's Lonely Guinea Pig Rescue in Newcastle and Tees Valley Guinea Pig Rescue in Middlesbrough to explore your local options.
Guinea-pig-forum-recommended-rescues.196734/

Hi

I am very sory for your loss!

All you can do is try. I have had old ladies who preferred to have company (even sows they had a fall-out with earlier in their lives) and others who wouldn't.

I've currently got a bereaved single sow coming up to 6 years who has managed to get into a kerfuffle with even my most gentle sow during a bonding attempt. Cerian has company through the bars. Her neighbours were three old sows coming up to 7 years; two feuding sisters and the widow from a mixed gender pair who had all decided that company aced any old grudges and the need to come out on top... Trying to bond Cerian with them lasted all of 5 minutes. :(

My oldest adoptee was a 7 year old bereaved sow who had gradually become depressed and very clingy although she did well initially. It took 10 months of living alongside with my then single 'rebel' sow but eventually the two would move in with each other and become best of friends. Calli lived to celebrate her 9th birthday thanks to her renewed zest of life and left her companion Tegan - who mourned her loss - willing to make compromises for companionship for the rest of her life (she died not long before her 8th birthday).

Three of my adoptees in October 2021 after a spell of several deaths in quick succession were bereaved end-of life companionship piggies aged between a few months to 4 years that had returned to the rescue I adopted them from as a permanent home.

I would recommend to contact Gertie's Lonely Guinea Pig Rescue in Newcastle and Tees Valley Guinea Pig Rescue in Middlesbrough to explore your local options.
Guinea-pig-forum-recommended-rescues.196734/
Thank you for the advice! I was thinking about contacting Tees Valley😊

Back