should my boars be more affectionate with each other?

• Thread starter Thread starter latheylloyd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

latheylloyd

So I just adopted a younger buddy for my 4-year-old boar, Bear, last weekend. I have been watching them very closely and they have not been biting each other or fighting exactly. However, the new guy, Dibs, will try to sniff Bear's butt or mount him and Bear will run away and squeak with annoyance. They have been "rumblestrutting" a bit but not baring teeth. It seems like Dibs is trying to interact with Bear and Bear is trying very hard to ignore him.
So my question is: If it seems as if they are just tolerating one another for now (they have lots of space to run around and don't have to be near one another if they don't want to) is there a chance that they will ever be closer buddies? Are bonded pairs usually affectionate/spend time together? Or alternatively, is this the calm before the storm and they will begin to fight if Bear continues to be annoyed at Dibs' mounting behavior?
Thanks for any help or advice you can give me! ?

I asked this before because I have two rabbits who are bonded and they are really affectionate and in love. However my two girls and my two boys just seem to live together. The boys have been together always and are happy enough but certainly don't seem 'affectionate' and the two girls live independent lives in the same hutch, one on one side and one on the other.

The best sort of bonding I've seen is a sow with a neutered boar

Some boar pairings are close, others are more 'tolerating' each other but pleased to have the company I am sure. The behaviour you describe could be sorting out the pecking order... hopefully they will sort itout between themselves and then their friendship can go from there.

kayjay said:
I asked this before because I have two rabbits who are bonded and they are really affectionate and in love. However my two girls and my two boys just seem to live together. The boys have been together always and are happy enough but certainly don't seem 'affectionate' and the two girls live independent lives in the same hutch, one on one side and one on the other.

Unless the sow's called Maddie ::) ;D ;D

Niki said:
kayjay said:

Unless the sow's called Maddie ::) ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D

UPDATE:
The boys have been growling at each other much less today...even taking turns like such good boys at the water bottle...i'm so proud
I even caught them resting under the same box tonight! It looks like they may have settled their differences...they seem much more content to be near each other...it's been now exactly one week since i brought Dibs home from the rescue and I'm so glad I did! :smitten:
Thanks for the advice! It taught me to lower my expectations a bit so that now I am so pleased to just see them sharing nicely or just hanging out in the same area :)

When Sam and Roo started living together, they accepted each other but it was some while before they started snuggling up together. Over time, they have become closer and closer and now usually choose to sleep close together :smitten:

I thought my boars were quite close until tonight. They had floortime and all was well being friendly and popcorning all over the place until they started running in circles sniffing each others bums. This started some major teeth chattering and the two of them fluffed up to nearly twice their size. They were separated and put back in their separate cages which are side by side. I had hoped to move them into a bigger cage together asap but after tonight I don't know if I should. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back