Should i use newspaper?

• Thread starter Thread starter xXShannonS2Xx
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xXShannonS2Xx

Ive read a lot of messages about people haveing news paper at the base of their cage..

Do you need this becausei just place sawdust in the cage :S

Hiya,

Sawdust is dangerous for pigs to be honest. Some people use woodchippings but again this can cause breathing problems. I did use woodchippings and hay before I knew this and now use newspaper and hay. I find it a lot easier to clean hutches and cages with newspaper down. I use three layers then loads of hay. I've found that the homes don't get as dirty.

Louise
x

I use layers of newspaper with short cropped straw on top & then hay. Newspaper not only makes it easier to clean hutches/cages because it all "rolls up" but it prevents the urine soaking into the wood; less stains in cages :)

i have just changed over to using newspaper and hay from woodchips and hay... the difference is brilliant... the pigs seem so much happier and tbh its cleaner and much less troublesome! i change the paper once a day and I'm very happy with how its going....

i use newspaper its easy to just lift everything out in one go. i also use some straw for the bedding.then hay on top for them to nibble. i dont know if straw is a no no, but they have been ok so far,and we use to use it when we were little.

Do you use the newspaper for indoor cages too?
I don't want to hijack the thread, but do any of you think fleece bedding is good?
I don't fancy washing it in the washing machine and think it may be alot of trouble handwashing it twice a week :-\

Piggeroo
I use newspaper in my indoor cage, I find it ok. Easy to clean out and see when it's wet.
I too wonder about the fleece thing.
Anne

I use newspaper, and then a mix of shavings and carefresh, with bedding hay on top :)

I wouldnt just use newspaper though, its not absorbant, I just use it to make cleaning out easier and use as a base :)

All the guineas here are inside :)

I use shavings and hay too. :)

I use a thick layer of newspaper with vetbed on the top. Excellent!

Easy to clean, shake out daily, hoover up any stray bits of hay.
Every 3 days bung one vetbed in the wash and chuck newspaper in bin and replace with fresh newspaper and clean vetbed.

Washes fine in the machine, although sometimes get the odd bit of hay stuck in the door bit but nothing major, if you take off the poo and the hay before putting it in the washing machine you are fine.

For the bottom layer I use those thingys that they use in the hospitals under bed ridden patients. Some people over here in the US call them Shucks(sp?) then I used a nice layer of newspaper and then I cover that with hay. The shucks are absorbent(my extra security). When I clean I just roll everything up and toss it. Makes cleaning a snap.

I use newspaper then megazorb and in the bedrooms I have newspaper, megazorb and hay (lots of ) Newspaper def helps the cleaning process as you just roll it up and bung in bin I also use newspaper in the indoor cages for the same reasons as wee on plastic isnt too good and the newspaper absorbs it :)

I use newspaper in the bottom because it makes cleaning out so much easier.. you just roll it up and lift everything out! :) ;)

I use newspaper for their indoor and outdoor home. Besides being easier than sawdust because it doesn't stick to things it is also better for them however many pigs do live with saw dust and are completely fine...

Newspaper is what i use like a base like pp said just to make it easier to scoop out but its not very absorbent ;) I use sawdust and hay too :D

Piggeroo said:
Do you use the newspaper for indoor cages too?
I don't want to hijack the thread, but do any of you think fleece bedding is good?
I don't fancy washing it in the washing machine and think it may be alot of trouble handwashing it twice a week :-\

i use the fleece thing with a twist, fleece is the probably the worst topper you could have because poop and hay stick to it.

i use three layers of towel, 2 towels on the bottom, then two folded over and placed at each side then another one in the centre covering all of them, then i have a piece of voile which is 100% polyester, i put that over weigh it down put the cage lid back on peg around the cage so its secure, and just sweep daily wash every 2/3 days really easy and nothing sticks to the polyester so your washing machine doesnt clog up with any muck :)

they dont eat it no..your best using polyester though, and just using fleece as a bed that you can take out daily because poo and hay stick to it really badly!

I found fleece hell! I used to use it in my C&C cage. It always looked dirty and hair and hay stuck to it. So it just looked a mess! They are outside now. I use newspaper, then woodhavings, then loads of hay! I think this works best.

I agree with spice and honey, i think it s much better with newspaper, hay and shavings ! they wee and poo all over the place !

i have enough washing to do with a husband and two kids :)

I've recently started to use newspaper on the base on the cage as the pigs' wee 'eats away' at the plastic. It also prevents the plastic from being scratched by the piggy. It's a lot more hygenic and cleaning is definitely easier. Before I used to spend a while scrubbing at the plastic but now I just rinse it clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back