Should I try and introduce pig to my herd?

Alimitch

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. After some advice on a Guinea pig that I have took on from a freind.
She is pregnant, I would say at least 3 weeks to go but that’s a guess.
She is on her own and I’m unsure if to try and introduce her to my other girls.
I have a herd of 5 pigs all girls.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks

Hi. After some advice on a Guinea pig that I have took on from a freind.
She is pregnant, I would say at least 3 weeks to go but that’s a guess.
She is on her own and I’m unsure if to try and introduce her to my other girls.
I have a herd of 5 pigs all girls.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks

Hi and welcome

Please move her close to your piggies/in an adjoining cage so she has interaction and stimulation through the bars but in view of her impending birth I would wait with any intros on neutral ground until after the end of the weaning process and any baby boar separation.

This is for two reasons:
- The full bonding/group re-establishment process takes about two weeks since the introduction on the day is followed by the dominance phase in which the group is fully established in its territory. The full process will take your new sow very close to birth and can contribute to her being either very protective over her piggies or her not bonding with her babies initially.
- Nursing sows and pups enjoy a special protected status until weaning (ca. 4 weeks), which will upset the group hierarchy again majorly just when it has settled down.
It would be better to not stress out both your mother-to-be and your sow group unduly. Keeping them next to each other will allow your group to become familiar with the little family and will hopefully make them more accepting when the time comes but without the added kerfuffle of yet another status change for the mum; she and any daughters can join your group together.

Please take the time to read our very practical and comprehensive pregnancy, birth, mother&baby care information pack. You should find it very helpful. Here is the access link, which you may want to bookmark: Pregnancy, Mother & Baby Care Guides

Here is our step-by-bonding guide, which includes group bonding dynamics: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

All the best. If you would like help and advice for your pregnant sow, please open an ongoing support thread in our specially monitored Pregnancy section (only visible for registered members who have accepted our no intentional breeding forum policy), which we can keep going for as long as needed until all babies are properly sexed and weaned.

Okay great. That’s brilliant advise thank you. I will definitely do a cage shuffle tonight so her cage is next to them. :)

Back