Should I Trim My Guineas Fur?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeaky_Ewok

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey there,

I am just wondering if I should attempt to trim my guineas fur,
This is Tinsel, he is a cross breed I was told by the RSPCA. We couldn't quite figure out what he is but he definitely has teddy in him. His fur towards his bum actually comes forward but underneath there are a few long wavy bits and he has the odd fly away piece piece that's longer over his body. He gets very angry when I brush him mainly towards to back, I know some guineas don't like being brushed but could trimming his hair help at all? It's just so thick towards the back I'm worried in the summer it might cause him to get very hot too. Any suggestions I can take a few more pics of his whole body if that helps.

10013300_3931143254330_347541970_n.webp
Size comparison when I bought him home, he is now much bigger than Gi due to his fur :|
1482753_3741551074644_413980032_n.webp

I would trim any hair at the back end that could get soiled.I have a Peruvian that I keep trimmed and a sheltie baby that will get the same when her coat grows in.

It sounds like you will be doing him a favour as he does not like his hair to be brushed. I used to trim my long haired piggy. It is much easier to look after their hair.

I would trim too. Tinsel is a funky looking piggie :drool:

Thank you all! I've trimmed it a little bit I think it has helped can see some shape of his body, and hasn't picked up much bedding either! :)

i got trimmer happy once and maisie ended up with a mini skirt... a very wonky one.. oops :))
I found myself wanting to give him an all over cut, but I stopped myself, he looks much smarter now but he hates me a little bit I think at the moment haha

I gave my boys their springtime bath today and took the opportunity to give my particularly hairy Swiss boy a hair cut. I find it easier to cut his hair when he is wet. He too hates being brushed and as he has a rather hairy rear end it really needs cut or it could get matted. Even after a bath and trim his bottom can still look as if its needing a clean. Being pure white doesn't help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back