should i seperate my sows?

• Thread starter Thread starter maisydaisystar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maisydaisystar

Hi everyone, would like some advice.
I Have a neutered boar living with 2 sows, one of which I rerhomed from the blue cross 6 months ago. They have been fine until recently my original sow toffee started bullying my re homed sow maisy. I know there has to be a pecking order and I accept that, it's just Maisy is still very nervous, and toffee bullies her so she hides most of the time, she lunges to nip her quite alot, maisy just freezes or runs away if toffee is around. there is teeth chattering, but no major fighting going on so I'm not worried about that,they even share a bed space at times, my concern is her hiding away alot of the time.wouldn't she have a nicer life without the bully. my boar star (aka cheeky chappie) does assert his authority and sends toffee packing at times, he loves maisy and is more affectionate to her than toffee. should i leave them? or find a neutered boar for toffee to live with? what would you all do. I don't really want to seperate them, and my instincts so far is not to,but would like some opinions.
Thanks

They may just need some time to settle. Give them a little while and if she still keeps being a bully then a neutered boar would probably be the best, as it's not fair to Maisy to always be afraid.

Kimmie

thanks kimmie
nice to get your view on it, will watch carefully.
does everyone else agree?
hubbys not too happy though, apparently i'm spending more time with the piggies than him, jealous or what. he thinks i'm an animal freak,whatever.

my hubby has long since given up trying to change me, my girls all 14 of them live together and have never had problems but i think its that they have loads of space and lots of food and water and plenty of hidey holes none are bullied and all get along really well, my instinct is give them as much space as possible maybe a run that all 3 can mix well and give no reasons for squabbles ie over food etc

they have access to quite alot of space, i have several pigloos and two dishes of food, two bottles of water, so will just have to keep an eye on them.

I have just put a neutered Boar in with two sows this week. I would just give them a while to settle down I have been putting mine together in the run during the day. At night I have the boar in a sepeate cage but thats all about to change this weekend, I am putting them into a two story hutch inside the shed. Mine have been behaving the same as yours so do not worry it sounds normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back