Should I Keep Them Separated?

Maseo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I currently have four guinea pigs, James (6 years old), Milo (1 ½), and recently Gus and Shawn (6 months). James I've had the longest since he was six months old and Milo for a little over a year after James' original partner had died. Recently I upgraded the two to a 2x6 Kavee C&C cage and thought that since the cage was so large for just the two of them, one extra guinea would be beneficial to them. I had planned on adopting only one new guinea pig but there were no options close to me so I went to a pet store. Again, I only planned on getting one but the only two there were Gus and Shawn and they were a bonded pair, so I took both.
After the initial quarantine period, the bonding between the four seemed to go well. They were all calm with each other, and while Milo chased the two around occasionally, they seemed like they were getting along. However, when I moved them all into the same cage, even after completely cleaning it, Milo still seemed very territorial and chased Gus and Shawn quite often. No blood has ever been drawn and the two little ones don't really fight back, they just give a squeak and Milo leaves them alone for a bit. Gus and Shawn still moved around and got their share of hay and vegetables but did not seem at all happy to be chased every 30 minutes. Milo would nip at them, pull out pieces of their hair while chasing them, and squeak constantly and occasionally chatter his teeth at them. James has no issue with the two but it seems like Milo really takes pride in chasing them into a corner. After three days in the same cage together, I had hoped things would have calmed down a little, but the chasing still continued.

Currently, they are all in the same cage but separated by two panels from their outdoor playpen. I have only seen Gus and Shawn popcorn when they are away from Milo though they sniff at him and James through the panels. Milo squeaks loudly and sniffs the two and bites at the bars when Gus and Shawn get near the panels. I am not sure if the frequent chasing and squeaking is dominance-related or if Milo just does not like them.

Should I remove the barrier and continue to let them sort it out or keep them separated? Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum

Please do keep them separated. Thing will not calm down and in fact could get a lot worse if you try to put them together. It is not possible to keep four boars together without risking fights and then ending up with single piggies. It is not recommended to add any more piggies to a pair of boars. They find it far too difficult to make a functioning hierarchy when there is more than two boars and consequently boar trios and quartets almost always fail.

A 2x5 is the right size for two boars together, so for the two of them to have a 2x6 is perfect.
While four boars together does not tend to work anyway due to the compatibility issues, a 2x6 cage is certainly not big enough for four boars. To anybody wanting to attempt a boar quartet (which we would never recommend), the cage sizing needs to be a long way beyond normal sizing rules. For four boars, you would need to be looking at something along lines of at least 12x3 cage so that each piggy had enough territory. However, this would not make things any more likely to work out, it would just mean they could move further apart

If you have split the 2x6 cage in half with each pair either side, then each half of the cage now isn’t big enough. Each pair needs a 2x5 to themselves otherwise you run the risk of further fall outs due to lack of space in each cage.
If floor space will be an issue (given you now need the cage to be 2x10 in total and then split in half), then c&c cages can be stacked one on top of the other, with a pair in each 2x5 cage. This obviously saves floor space.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum

Please do keep them separated. Thing will not calm down and in fact could get a lot worse if you try to put them together. It is not possible to keep four boars together without risking fights and then ending up with single piggies. It is not recommended to add any more piggies to a pair of boars. They find it far too difficult to make a functioning hierarchy when there is more than two boars and consequently boar trios and quartets almost always fail.

A 2x5 is the right size for two boars together, so for the two of them to have a 2x6 is perfect.
While four boars together does not tend to work anyway due to the compatibility issues, a 2x6 cage is certainly not big enough for four boars. To anybody wanting to attempt a boar quartet (which we would never recommend), the cage sizing needs to be a long way beyond normal sizing rules. For four boars, you would need to be looking at something along lines of at least 12x3 cage so that each piggy had enough territory. However, this would not make things any more likely to work out, it would just mean they could move further apart

If you have split the 2x6 cage in half with each pair either side, then each half of the cage now isn’t big enough. Each pair needs a 2x5 to themselves otherwise you run the risk of further fall outs due to lack of space in each cage.
If floor space will be an issue (given you now need the cage to be 2x10 in total and then split in half), then c&c cages can be stacked one on top of the other, with a pair in each 2x5 cage. This obviously saves floor space.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Thank you for the response, after thinking it over I've decided to rehome the new two so they can be happy with enough space and my original pair can have their cage back. Do you have any suggestions on trusted sites/organizations to find them a new home? I don't want to take them back to the pet store and I want them to go to a good home.

Thank you for the response, after thinking it over I've decided to rehome the new two so they can be happy with enough space and my original pair can have their cage back. Do you have any suggestions on trusted sites/organizations to find them a new home? I don't want to take them back to the pet store and I want them to go to a good home.

The best thing if possible is to surrender them to a rescue centre so they can be rehomed.
Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations

I've thought it over again and I've decided to keep the new pair, they are just too cute 😭 So I'll be getting them their own 2x6 as well.
That’s super news, both pairs will have plenty of space and popcorn to their delight, I’m so pleased you are keeping them 😊

Back