Should i get a 3rd guinea pig?

alixscreaturecrew

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Recently I've seen a few people talking about how a person should have atleast a trio instead of just a pair.

At the moment I have two 8-10 month old boars, both really sweet and seem to get on well, however they are not neutered. I have had a trio once before, however it wasn't planned and I haven't really thought about doing it since. I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea to get a third boar to introduce to the pair as I don't want to cause them to argue, I have no where to suitably house another guinea pig if it didn't work.

I have bonded boars in the past, including a herd of 5 where I work but I just wanted the input of others. They have a very large space and occupy about half of my utility room so it is way over the minimum size for 4 or more piggies.
Just unsure,
What do you think?

Thank you in advance for any replies :)

As you have boars, then no, you shouldn’t add any more. Please don’t do it - if you search through the behaviour section you will see how often we are contacted about failed boar trios particularly those as young as yours. A boar herd can work if the space is exceptionally large, as in an entire room, it contains considerably more boars (and the space needs to cover at least the number boars in square metres) and they are all older with testosterone fizzled out.
Boars in trios, particularly in youngsters, most often fail - either through the original pair ganging up on the newcomer and rejecting him or by the original pair having their bond broken by adding the third, all three fighting and all ending up needing to live in separate cages. As you don’t have space for this, then it’s even more reason not to risk it. At best, you would end up with one of them ending up single, needing his own cage and his own new friend.

Boars are best kept in pairs only.
Your cage may meet size for four, but it doesn’t mean its anywhere big enough for three or more boars (except a boar quartet has an even higher failure rate than a boar trio) whose requirements would be considerably larger at four square metres as a minimum.

Also to clarify, even if they were neutered, you still could not add a sow. Putting a sow in with a boar pair would cause chaos and fights, would break bonds and you would still end up with single piggies.

To further add, even in sows, its not a case that a trio is better than a pair. As long as a piggy isn’t single, then they are quite happy

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Last edited:
Very sensible advice above.
Please don't risk breaking the bond that your boars currently have.
After unexpected pregnancies I think boar trio falling outs are one of the most common issues we are asked about.
It is such a complex grouping to get right, and the huge amounts of space required make it very tricky to achieve.

If you want more piggies snd feel you have the space for them (and time and money!) then please consider another boar pair who can live separately.
UK rescues are overflowing with unwanted piggies who would be so grateful for a loving and experienced home.

Back