TBSam

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was thinking of building a cage just like this Living World Green Eco Habitat | Free P&P on orders £29+ at zooplus!

But bigger, ( 2 x 4.5 ) with a roof thats attached with a hinge instead of lifting it up. I have two guinea pigs (male) but I dont have much room in my room lol.
I just have a few question (ik I asked them before but I just wanna be more clear)
1. what wood is safe that isint painted
2. What kind of glass or plastic should I use? I think clear perspex would be good.
3. can I put stick on tiles as a water proof sealant? (I will make sure they are flat and not bumpy)
4. how hard do you think this cage will be to build?
5. I also would like to use wood shavings is kiln dried pine good that is what most farms sell in my area.
6. how can I drill holes in perspex without cracking it?
7. what would be the best thickness of the wood and perspex?
8. last but not least adding too #5 Where can i get huge amounts of better bedding for guinea pigs like aspen for cheap?

I was thinking actually 24 inches by 140 inches is that good? and the height (without wheels) 20.5 inches (52 cm)

[][][] In addition to my thread I looked everywhere but can find cheap bedding i was thinking horse bedding whats safe and what isint cause we dont have any of that aubiose stuff where i live. any actuall INTERNATIONAL shipping places and not the uk Thanks [][][]

Reactions: Gia
[][][] In addition to my thread I looked everywhere but can find cheap bedding i was thinking horse bedding whats safe and what isint cause we dont have any of that aubiose stuff where i live any goot INTERNATIONAL shipping places and not the uk Thanks [][][]
If you want to use shavings, avoid pine and cedar since they're highly irritating to guinea pigs' respiratory systems. I'd recommend a bedding called paper chip. It's made out of recycled materials, super absorbent, and odor masking.
Paper-Chip Bedding

If you want to use shavings, avoid pine and cedar since they're highly irritating to guinea pigs' respiratory systems. I'd recommend a bedding called paper chip. It's made out of recycled materials, super absorbent, and odor masking.
Paper-Chip Bedding
Ive never heard of it i hopes its in canada and not uk again lol

Paper-Chip Bedding
Looks similar to Back2Nature bedding.

honestly, although it looks elegant and well built, I don't think it is healthy at all. The size is too little:
the larger cage has interior dimensions 115 x 75 x 49 cm. (49 cm is the right height for us for ending up with a back damage after a while!)
Air ventilation would be okay removing the roof, otherwise it is only a closed box where oxygen (maybe) circulates but the humidity and the volatile molecula (from the poo, the leftovers, the bedding, etc) remain just there and those holes are not large enough.
I would never put myself or a child or a pet into a closed box for the whole life... Reptiles live in similar closed cages but they have special devices which check and keep constant all the parameters of air and humidity.
If you buy that cage at least remove the roof... and be careful with your back when you are going to pick up the piggies or to clean the bedding ;)
(and the price is absurd, too)

honestly, although it looks elegant and well built, I don't think it is healthy at all. The size is too little:
the larger cage has interior dimensions 115 x 75 x 49 cm. (49 cm is the right height for us for ending up with a back damage after a while!)
Air ventilation would be okay removing the roof, otherwise it is only a closed box where oxygen (maybe) circulates but the humidity and the volatile molecula (from the poo, the leftovers, the bedding, etc) remain just there and those holes are not large enough.
I would never put myself or a child or a pet into a closed box for the whole life... Reptiles live in similar closed cages but they have special devices which check and keep constant all the parameters of air and humidity.
If you buy that cage at least remove the roof... and be careful with your back when you are going to pick up the piggies or to clean the bedding ;)
(and the price is absurd, too)
Probably gunna change that plan aha i was thinking making a cage instead of c&c grids i use perspex as the walls and put it on a stand cause i dont like floor cages aha

Probably gunna change that plan aha i was thinking making a cage instead of c&c grids i use perspex as the walls and put it on a stand cause i dont like floor cages aha
you can put that cage on a table with short legs, so that it is easy for you and your back to bend and lift the piggies and the leftovers. If you remove the roof the air circulates and the cage looks elegant into your living room. But the price is high... I would ask a carpenter and maybe he is cheaper and can even build the cage with a different size... He could even build a cage on 4 legs...
there are gorgeous pattern on the net, as an example:
372Cavy_Cage_6-04.webp
diy-guinea-pig-cage-ideas.webp
maxresdefault.webp
maxresdefault1.webp
there are tutorials on Youtube :)

Back