• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Should I be really concerned?

NikuS3701

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys!
Today I noticed one of my guinea pigs nippes are a bit crusty/dry. I have tried to do some research and found out a few things it could be, we will take her to the vet for a checkup too. I'm just not sure what it could be and if we need an emergency vet appointment or is waiting a few days for it fine. She's 3 years old, very energetic! She eats and drinks fine.
Do I try to get an appointment ASAP or is it fine to wait for one i have in a few days?

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi guys!
Today I noticed one of my guinea pigs nippes are a bit crusty/dry. I have tried to do some research and found out a few things it could be, we will take her to the vet for a checkup too. I'm just not sure what it could be and if we need an emergency vet appointment or is waiting a few days for it fine. She's 3 years old, very energetic! She eats and drinks fine.
Do I try to get an appointment ASAP or is it fine to wait for one i have in a few days?

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi

This is not an emergency and it can be seen during regular hours at your convenience in the next week or two.

Crusty nipples are the most common sign of growing hormonal ovarian cysts, which are at the most active around 2-4 years of age. The vast majority of sows will develop ovarian cysts of some sort or other but most of them actually go unnoticed because they never cause any trouble.

You may find the information in this link here helpful: Sow Problems 'Down Below' (Ovarian Cysts, Super-seasons, Womb Infection, Pregnancy & Mammary Tumours)

Hi

This is not an emergency and it can be seen during regular hours at your convenience in the next week or two.

Crusty nipples are the most common sign of growing hormonal ovarian cysts, which are at the most active around 2-4 years of age. The vast majority of sows will develop ovarian cysts of some sort or other but most of them actually go unnoticed because they never cause any trouble.

You may find the information in this link here helpful: Sow Problems 'Down Below' (Ovarian Cysts, Super-seasons, Womb Infection, Pregnancy & Mammary Tumours)
Thabk you so much! That's incredibly helpful

Back