• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Should I be concerned?

drowsygrrl

New Born Pup
Reaction score
After looking at some photos on google, I’m worried that my guinea pig is dealing with impaction. His bum has looked like this for as long as I can remember and when he got a full body exam at the vet she didn’t mention it at all so I never thought anything of it until this morning when I noticed he has lines going down the middle of his poop and one source said he could be dealing with impaction. If he is what is treatment like for this? is it an emergency situation? (I have been texting with his vet but I cannot make it to an appointment at this time) also can someone tell me how to attach photos to my thread!? i just made my account, thank you!

Hi and welcome

You can only post pictures once your registration has been fully processed, which takes a little time.

You can however look at reference pictures of boars with fully descended testicles in our sexing guide (chapter adult boars) and at our impaction guide.

Here are the links:
Illustrated Sexing Guide
Impaction - How To Help Your Guinea Pig.

With an impacted boar, the poos are no longer formed but they look and have the consistency of playdough.
If you notice any swelling, or changes in your boys' genitalia during the weekly body check and weigh-in then it is always good to ask and make sure.

:wel:
Once your account has been verified (the words 'New Born Pup' appear under your name) you will see the "Attach files" button and will be able to post a photo.

Hopefully that will help an expert answer your questions

Back