Should I Bath Drogon

Scooby& Shaggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello all,

Drogon (13 weeks) old has a Matt on his belly, he had this since we got him last week. I wanted to leave bathing him until he has been with us a month. As I could bath Elvis at the same time. And then do scooby and shaggy seperately but still on the same day.
At Lap time tonight I noticed the beginnings of another bit of another patch of matting, so I'm thinking should I clip it off (I'm confident I could do it) but really wouldn't want to harm him and I'm wondering what would be best.bath him to get rid of it, cut it off or brush it out after softening with a bit of warm water?....Any thoughts?

I've read that you should clip off a matt before bathing at it gets worse after. I'm not completely sure though. I never had that problem with a piggy but my saluki often get matted and cutting them off doesn't cause him any discomfort. Sorry that I can't help you anymore.

I find wetting it usually makes the Matt worse as the hair fibers tighten and climb together more. I'd go with cutting but only if you have someone to help keep him still and something to distract him with.

When I had a long haired cat I would always put something between the Matt and the skin if possible in case he moved or I slipped, that way I would not cut him. For close to skin matts I also used to try and cut the Matt itself in half instead to see if that freed up the hair and let me brush it out.

Back