Should I Adopt Babies Or Adults?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sophiawantsapig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If by some chance my parents let me adopt guinea pigs, should I get adults or babies? I just don't know. Let me know the pros and cons of both options and why you like one age range versus the other. Thanks in advance!

It's really up to you... there are pros and cons to either. I have always started with babies (or young pigs, a few months old, if not exactly babies) because that's what tends to be available in my area. So I can only really speak from the perspective of adopting babies/teenage pigs.

The pros of babies: They are freaking adorable, with their giant ears and feet! Nothing cuter than a baby guinea pig! It's exciting and gratifying to see them grow up. I have had a couple pigs almost since birth (adopted at less than a month of age) until old age... there is something very special about having your pet throughout their entire lifespan. It's a special experience. Because guinea pigs don't live as long as dogs or cats, I also appreciate having the maximum time I can with them... the younger they come to me, the longer I have them as part of my family. I've had some pigs live to be 6 or 7 and it still doesn't feel long enough, so it was nice to at least have them for ALL those years instead of coming in midway through and having less time with them.

The cons of babies: Babies will probably not be used to humans or being handled. They will likely be scared of you, extremely active/hyper, and can be very hard to catch. You are really starting from scratch as far as socialization goes, so you may have to spend quite a bit of time getting them used to you in the beginning. After the cute baby stage comes the hormonal teenager stage, where some pigs (especially boars) may decide that they don't like their companion and don't want to live with them anymore. In that sense, getting a bonded adult pair is less 'risky' than babies who haven't formed their adult personalities yet.

Hope this helps a bit.. I'm sure members who have adopted adult pigs can give some insight into the pros and cons of that situation!

It's really up to you... there are pros and cons to either. I have always started with babies (or young pigs, a few months old, if not exactly babies) because that's what tends to be available in my area. So I can only really speak from the perspective of adopting babies/teenage pigs.

The pros of babies: They are freaking adorable, with their giant ears and feet! Nothing cuter than a baby guinea pig! It's exciting and gratifying to see them grow up. I have had a couple pigs almost since birth (adopted at less than a month of age) until old age... there is something very special about having your pet throughout their entire lifespan. It's a special experience. Because guinea pigs don't live as long as dogs or cats, I also appreciate having the maximum time I can with them... the younger they come to me, the longer I have them as part of my family. I've had some pigs live to be 6 or 7 and it still doesn't feel long enough, so it was nice to at least have them for ALL those years instead of coming in midway through and having less time with them.

The cons of babies: Babies will probably not be used to humans or being handled. They will likely be scared of you, extremely active/hyper, and can be very hard to catch. You are really starting from scratch as far as socialization goes, so you may have to spend quite a bit of time getting them used to you in the beginning. After the cute baby stage comes the hormonal teenager stage, where some pigs (especially boars) may decide that they don't like their companion and don't want to live with them anymore. In that sense, getting a bonded adult pair is less 'risky' than babies who haven't formed their adult personalities yet.

Hope this helps a bit.. I'm sure members who have adopted adult pigs can give some insight into the pros and cons of that situation!
Thank you! That information helped.

To be honest I suppose it depends on what your heart says when you meet the piggies. You might go in wanting a baby only to fall in love with the 2 year old silkie behind.

As it was said above, babies are cute and it is nice to watch them grow and learn etc and it means you get to have them for as long as possible. That being said no one fully knows how long a piggy will live and a baby might sadly pass at 1/2/3...and so on. Also as said above if you get 2 baby boars it's possible they could fall out with each other and have to be separated in the long term meaning another cage and finding more friends.

Adult piggies are just as cute and I read somewhere that a baby piggy is still classed as a pup until 2 years old so technically it's still a baby. Adult piggies tend to be a bit calmer and quicker to settle because they understand what's going on. It's also more likely their bond with another piggy (if you get 2 already bonded ) will last.

Hope this helps.

If by some chance my parents let me adopt guinea pigs, should I get adults or babies? I just don't know. Let me know the pros and cons of both options and why you like one age range versus the other. Thanks in advance!

It depends on what you want out of your piggies. If snuggling is what you want most of, then go for a pair that is used to being handled and that you can snuggle with from the start. If you'd rather enjoy watching your piggies and don't mind if they are wiggly and can't sit still, then go for youngsters (or more likely a pair with one baby and one adult/teenager, as most good rescues prefer to rehome mixed ages for added stability when they have rescue born babies). If you want piggies you can interact with on their terms more than yours (more like a pint-sized dog), then look for big personalities. ;)
You can always ask a rescue what they would recommend or leave it open until you have seen and met all their adoptable piggies to find the ones you really click with most. People that do the latter often come home with other piggies than they had reserved originally.

What I would recommend is to not so much go for age or a website photo but for personality. Pink-eyed white piggies for instance are often very laid-back snugglers and black piggies often have got oodles of personality, but they keep being overlooked - but of course, as we are talking guinea pigs - every piggy is unique, so not all piggies of one breed are the same. There is no hard and fast rule.

I have adopted piggies of all ages between babies and five year olds, and they have all given me joy in their own way.
Babies are sadly vocal and lively youngsters only for a comparatively short time before they calm down a lot as adults; that is something you need to keep in mind.
Some of the oldies have been longer with me than some of my younger piggies, so you can never tell; they also have a special place in my heart because of their personality and the zest for life that they have enjoyed their new loving home with.
At the moment I am also looking after a friend's 8 year old bereaved piggy that went depressed after the last of its same age companions died so she has the constant stimulation that she needs.
Personally, I like the mix; I also like having neutered boars as well as just sows - a bit of everything, in truth! :)

I think I would go for the older ones, you don't know what these piggies have gone through, it would be lovely to give them a loving home & to let them know that all people are unkind.

Now to blow that argument out of the water. Lol
I have babies, but if I could, I would certainly go the older ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back