Shes really scared of me

Misspiggielol

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I got my guinea pig (who's name is chichi) and she does eat long pieces of vegetables and hay from my hand and she sometimes sniffs my hand, but shes still really scared of me. For instance, if I open the cage she runs back to her hiding space, and I know I just got her this past friday, but I feel bad and I feel like I'm stressing her out without realizing. What should I do, because I try and talk to her and I try not to stress her out to much, and I know I should her time, but she keeps making low, short purring noises and she just seems really scared. Like she does her little zoomies and she seems happy and really excited, it's just, I dont want her to be scared of me. How do I make sure shes comfortable without scaring her to much?

It can take weeks, months or even years for piggies to become used to handling. They are prey animals and are wired to run at the first sign of danger. When you approach the cage, make sure you talk to her. Predators approach silently so if you approach silently then suddenly appear at her side, then she is going to be even more scared.
The good news is, if she is taking food from your hand, then she is starting to trust you. You do just need to be patient with everything else.

Is she by herself? Guinea pigs are highly social animals and must be kept with another guinea pig at all times. They get very lonely if they are kept by themselves. It is is one of their five animal rights that they are kept in pairs And have companionship of their own species. I’m afraid human companionship Will never be enough for her.

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
Companionship

Back