Sheltie Care Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colette

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Got 2 almost 5 month old sheltie girls, I've been cutting their hair and brushing them and trying to get them used to that. Anyway now they're starting to grow I want to know where do you cut their fur, I am going to have to cut their leg and chin fur? Do they have to be bathed? All advice welcome I've had 2 smooth pigs but both passed away recently from old age.

I keep the hair of my own longhair piggies cut short around the bum area at all times; that is the one area where messes and matting happens most. Keep the sides trimmed so the hair doesn't drag on the floor or - if your girls really hate being groomed, keep the overcoat short, too, so combing is much easier. I use a soft brush for my coronets and perus.

You can just trim the undercoat shorter in winter, but I would recommend to give your girls an all-over short summer coat for the hot days, so they are not living in the equivalent of a ski suit. By autumn, the hair will have grown back.

IMG_5066_edited-1.webp
IMG_5121_edited-1.webp
IMG_5149_edited-1.webp

With keeping the crucial areas under control, the need to bathe is well reduced. Often, a simple bum bath with hand warm water will help to clear any messes.
Posh'n'go shampoo from gorgeous guinea is specially formulated for longhaired piggies and contains a skin compatible conditioner.
http://shop.gorgeousguineas.com/posh-n-go-conditioning-shampoo-100ml-122-p.asp

Fang has his bum kept short as it occasionally matts otherwise. he's very clean so I only trim his hair to floor length.

I keep the hair of my two Shelties fairly short, to floor length. I clip as short as I can around the bum and back legs to help it stay clean and mat-free. Combing matted hair is very painful as a lot can get pulled out. In summer, I try to give an all over layered cut to help them keep cool. I can't do it as nicely as Wiebke has, though!

Mine have an all-over a couple of times in the summer too, and one seems to be prone to skin flakes so she has her hair cut more often. Both have regular bùm cuts, the matting starts quickly otherwise. Cut all matts out, however small. They hurt the piggy to be brushed out! I brush my girls twice a week too, with a plastic bristle brush with bobbles on the end :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back