shed too hot!

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
i really need some advice from people who keep their piggies housed in sheds.. we’ve now managed to insulate out piggie shed with the silver bubble wrap insulation and it’s definitely keeping it at least 2 degrees warmer inside than outside at nighttime as it starts to cool down. however its a 18 degree day today according to my phones weather (thermometer outside saying 24) and the shed has the door fully open yet is reading 24ish degrees inside too! when i come out i don’t feel as though the shed is that hot but i could be wrong! i thought insulation was supposed to work both ways and now i’m really worried its going to make it too hot in here for my girls. we don’t have the room to house them inside and the whole reason for the shed was to protect them from the weather / predators so moving the hutch outside isn’t really an option either. how do you keep your sheds cool in warm weather? is leaving the door open whats making it retain the heat? should i be shutting the door with window flap up on hot days to help keep it cool inside and stop the warm air getting in? i’m going to try both and see which helps keep it the coolest but thought id ask incase anyone knew! i’m at a dead end with what i should do and need any advice please as starting to worry!

Leaving the door open doesn’t make it retain heat but once you’ve got hot air outside, having the door open is going to let that hot air inside. Keeping it shut won’t help either - the shed will just get hotter when the sun shines on it, and then it has no way of escape.

A fan can be used but you need to be careful that it isnt drawing in more warm air and then just blowing warm air around.

A hutch inside an aviary can provide security and buy some more time from the heat but even hutches which are outside get very hot when the sun shines on them

Leaving the door open doesn’t make it retain heat but once you’ve got hot air outside, having the door open is going to let that hot air inside. Keeping it shut won’t help either - the shed will just get hotter when the sun shines on it, and then it has no way of escape.

A fan can be used but you need to be careful that it isnt drawing in more warm air and then just blowing warm air around.

A hutch inside an aviary can provide security and buy some more time from the heat but even hutches which are outside get very hot when the sun shines on them

thanks again for all your help and advice! need to start exploring my options asap!

Mine are in the garage not a shed but I keep the door closed on really hot days. Last summer when we had a few really hot ones I covered up the windows with sheets. You can always pop in something cool for them to lay next to if they are hot. I use bottles of frozen water inside socks. If they are hot they will sit by them. My garage is 18 at the moment. I’ve got the door open too.

Mine are in the garage not a shed but I keep the door closed on really hot days. Last summer when we had a few really hot ones I covered up the windows with sheets. You can always pop in something cool for them to lay next to if they are hot. I use bottles of frozen water inside socks. If they are hot they will sit by them. My garage is 18 at the moment. I’ve got the door open too.

okay thanks! i’m going to stay in the shed watching the thermometer to see how much it increases / decreases with the door open fully, shut and opened a jar. how do you tell if a piggie is hot? just be feeling them? i’m going to have to get some bottles frozen i think! i really didn’t think it was going to be this hard to keep them in a shed!

Brick built garages tend to behave a bit differently to a wooden shed - my garage gets warm but it is always cooler than the shed will ever be.

Is your shed in the sun at all?

When I’ve got them indoors, I keep the doors and windows shut, hang damp bed sheets over the windows, hang damp pieces of fleece over the side of the cage, with a fan in the room and that can help cool the air.

This guide explains heat stroke
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Last edited:
Brick built garages tend to behave a bit differently to a wooden shed - my garage gets warm but it is always cooler than the shed will ever be.

Is your shed in the sun at all?

When I’ve got them indoors, I keep the doors and windows shut, hang damp bed sheets over the windows, hang damp pieces of fleece over the side of the cage, with a fan in the room and that can help cool the air.

This guide explains heat stroke
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

yes the shed does get a bit of sun, i think i’m just going to have to keep an eye on it and figure out whats best to do.

Some sort of shade/shelter/gazebo/giant reflective jacket for the outside of the shed itself to keep the sun off quite so much might help for a while but there just comes a point where there is nothing you can do as the air outside is just too warm and when it gets any direct sun.

This thread is one from last summer when there was a heatwave. It gives some advice on hot weather - ice packs, frozen water bottles so they can go and sit against them if they feel warm but it’s not going to stop the whole shed from getting too hot

How to Keep Your Guinea Pigs Safe and Cool - Hot Weather Warning for the UK

I really do feel your struggle, it’s one I have had and failed with every year. Winter with sheds is so much easier

Some sort of shade/shelter/gazebo/giant reflective jacket for the outside of the shed itself to keep the sun off quite so much might help for a while but there just comes a point where there is nothing you can do as the air outside is just too warm and when it gets any direct sun.

This thread is one from last summer when there was a heatwave. It gives some advice on hot weather - ice packs, frozen water bottles so they can go and sit against them if they feel warm but it’s not going to stop the whole shed from getting too hot

How to Keep Your Guinea Pigs Safe and Cool - Hot Weather Warning for the UK

I really do feel your struggle, it’s one I have had and failed with every year. Winter with sheds is so much easier

thats a good idea! yes of corse.. we are looking into possibly getting an extractor fan put in the back of the shed but not sure yet. thanks so much!

Back