She Wheeked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panda and Me

New Born Pup
Reaction score
This is a good thing right? All Gypsy has done before now, with us, is tiny little squeaks and an unhappy/angry sounding noise but when we held her and played with her this morning she wheeked loudly. Does this mean she is starting to accept us?

Ours tend to wheek when they are excited or want something (usually food!) but I think overall it is a happy sound.
Congratulations on your first wheek - in my experience once they start, you will never get them to stop!

This is a good thing right? All Gypsy has done before now, with us, is tiny little squeaks and an unhappy/angry sounding noise but when we held her and played with her this morning she wheeked loudly. Does this mean she is starting to accept us?
Wheeking is a good sign she is happy and settling in but you better watch out before long that is all you will hear when opening the fridge door or rattling a plastic bag :D

It is almost always a good sign, it means excitement and anticipation of something good. However there is a wheek that they do when they are calling out in the hope of someone coming to comfort them. I heard my little Sunrise call out a similar wheek when I took her home with me for the first time, while she was in the car with us, and I think she was crying out for her family to come to her. I've heard it when a new little one got on to one of the upper levels if their cage and away from her companions, and as soon as she wheeked the others rushed up to her to make sure she was OK.
I had one on her own for a while (long story but I had to keep her on her own for some time) and if there was a loud noise she wheeked out for me to come to her, and when I did she rushed to me as if to say, thank goodness you have come to my aid.

BUT wheeking when they know a treat is coming, like when they can hear their food being prepared, is a very good thing. I think you are best to go not just by the sounds they make but how they behave when they make these sounds. If your piggy is enthusiastic about being out with you then it could very well be that she's wheeking out of not being able to contain her excitement. :)

I would welcome any wheeking as long as she is happier and more content. I feel like she has been pretty unhappy about coming to live with us. I think that will change though when Panda comes home this week and she is not a lonely only anymore.

She was sitting with us but more interested in exploring when she wheeked. She seems to be settling in a little bit. I think she has given up on the hope of finding more of her kind here. Won't she be surprised laterthis week when her new "sister" comes home. :)

I think she'll be delighted, and I bet you can't wait. I hope it goes really well for them and that they form a beautiful bond. Please keep us updated x

I love it when mine wheek.. It's usually when they hear my slippers which means I am bringing them food ! So funny cos they don't wheek when anyone else walks near them, just me !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back