she started screaming.

kokopop

New Born Pup
Reaction score
my piggie started screaming after a few months of using her indoor voice.

she used to wheek like a maniac when she was younger (2-6 months old) but since then, the intensity, volume, and occurrences have lowered. until today.

i opened the fridge and pulled out the veggie compartment and she started wheeking bloody murder, so loudly that it startled her neighbour piggie. i tried again 2 more times later today and… well, you can probably guess what happened. so, am just wondering if she finally found her voice after almost 6 months of tiny wheeks… 🤔🤔

Attachments

• IMG_5871.webp
    IMG_5871.webp
    30.8 KB · Views: 1
She’s obviously very happy and feels comfortable to let you know what she’s wants ….. food. She’s gorgeous 😍

Hi

Your piggy has obviously found her big food wheek after the period when piggies are at their loudest and most vocal around 4-6 months when they are at the biggest risk of predation and injury as they are spreading their wings but haven't yet got the experience; this is the way guinea pig groups keep in touch when they move through thick underground to and from their feeding grounds twice a day. They calm down a lot more after that since that is in their own and their group's overall survival interest. By that time, the next generation is already on their own way anyway.
Journey through a Lifetime: The Ages of Guinea Pigs

The food wheek has entered guinea pig behaviour only after they have been bred out as a domestic species several thousands of years ago.

Is your girl a single piggy or has she got a companion?

Hi

Your piggy has obviously found her big food wheek after the period when piggies are at their loudest and most vocal around 4-6 months when they are at the biggest risk of predation and injury as they are spreading their wings but haven't yet got the experience; this is the way guinea pig groups keep in touch when they move through thick underground to and from their feeding grounds twice a day. They calm down a lot more after that since that is in their own and their group's overall survival interest. By that time, the next generation is already on their own way anyway.
Journey through a Lifetime: The Ages of Guinea Pigs

The food wheek has entered guinea pig behaviour only after they have been bred out as a domestic species several thousands of years ago.

Is your girl a single piggy or has she got a companion?
she has a next door neighbour! it’s strange to me too since the loud wheeking came as usual, went away with age, then came back again full force. to be fair, there were times where they both got rather worked up and noisy but i’ve never seen her do it 3 times in one day.

she has a next door neighbour! it’s strange to me too since the loud wheeking came as usual, went away with age, then came back again full force. to be fair, there were times where they both got rather worked up and noisy but i’ve never seen her do it 3 times in one day.

Thank you for clarifying.

I guess that now that she has rediscovered her food wheek and you are giving positive reinforcement, it is going to stick around. ;)

Back