Sharp Nails!

autumne

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pigs have VERY sharp nails. They aren't that long and my piggies aren't very old so I haven't trimmed them yet but mostly because they aren't long. I have no idea why they are so sharp and I want some advice on something I could give them to help file their nails. I will try to take a few pictures to show how long they are. Any advice?

I would clip the sharp ends off rather than filing them. Piggies don't like having nails clipped. I wrap mine in a towel (like a guinea pig sausage roll) with a paw poking out and clip the nails of that foot, unwrap them and then repeat until all the nails are clipped. It helps if you have someone to hold your 'sausage wrapped' piggy while you concentrate on the nails.

Baby piggie nails are incredible sharp! There’s a couple of things you can do depending on how brave you’re feeling and how well behaved your piggies are. Like @Betsy said, you can “tip” the nails. This is where you remove only the very tip of the nail. It removes the sharp edge and can also cause the quick (the vein in the nail) to retract a little, so it’s a useful trick to use with piggies that have very long nails but also very long quicks.

Another trick you can use is putting something abrasive in the enclosure for them to walk on. Do they have a second level? Many people use cat scratching broads as ramps that also help to wear down the claws.

Baby piggie nails are incredible sharp! There’s a couple of things you can do depending on how brave you’re feeling and how well behaved your piggies are. Like @Betsy said, you can “tip” the nails. This is where you remove only the very tip of the nail. It removes the sharp edge and can also cause the quick (the vein in the nail) to retract a little, so it’s a useful trick to use with piggies that have very long nails but also very long quicks.

Another trick you can use is putting something abrasive in the enclosure for them to walk on. Do they have a second level? Many people use cat scratching broads as ramps that also help to wear down the claws.

They do have a second level, but the ramp is plastic. I will go and look for a cat scratching one when I go to the store today. I will also try clipping their nails. Thanks so much!

Back