Sewing and fleece bedding

brilapiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Out of curiosity has anyone taken up sewing for their piggies? I've thought about it but never committed. It feels like I'm drowning in fleece and that's my preferred bedding but practically I don't know if it makes more sense in the long run to continue buying already made cozies, potty pads, and C&C pads or if it would be more cost efficient to give production a go myself.

On one hand, I definitely feel like I could do it with a bit of practice. There are a lot of resources and there is a local craft store with second hand machines and fabric. On the other hand, I do also work a full time job and get frustrated very easily. Ultimately the goal is to add more variety for the pigs and save money.

Thoughts and experiences? Thanks! Picture posted as piggy tax!cinnamon.jpg
(This is Cinnamon, one of my senior boars <3)

I make my own liners and pee pads. I'm not very good a sewing straight so the sewing is often a bit wonky but as my OH says 'it's only for piggies to pee on'! I can make at least 2 or 3 liners for the price of one if I bought them so what's a wonky line between friends?
We have a collection of 60 + year old hand worked machines, really simple to use. I didn't get on well with modern plastic machines with lots of settings.
There's lots of tutorials on youtube on how to make your own fleece items, give it a go. I'd start with the pee pads first and progress from there, you will be making hideys in no time!

I also make all our own fleece liners & pee pads. I worked it all out in the beginning & like piggyminder was more cost effective to make my own. (We also have 2 second hand liners.)
I have made snuggle sacks too.
I have brought fleece cubes beds, as that’s just beyond my basic sewing skills. I had a go at a cuddle cup…. The pigs were not very keen on using it!

You never know, you might catch the sewing bug, and be making other things too.

I started sewing after I got Bill and Ted. I had an old sewing machine and started making simple things like small mats. Then got into more complicated items. I found Utube and Pinterest really useful. I would say go for it. I have change my sewing machine, have a little Etsy shop and make things for two Guinea pig charities
Start with something easy like a mat. I use 6oz sheet polyester wadding and a layer of white plain fleece sandwiched between you layers of fleece. Ait works really well and is easy to wash and dry
this is a few of my favourite creations, the last one is the first mat I made for Bill and Ted
IMG_0747.jpegIMG_0153.jpegIMG_3873.jpeg

Last edited:
I started sewing after I got Bill and Ted. I had an old sewing machine and started making simple things like small mats. Then got into more complicated items. I found Utube and Pinterest really useful. I would say go for it. I have change my sewing machine, have a little Etsy shop and make things for two Guinea pig charities
Start with something easy like a mat. I use 6oz sheet polyester wadding and a layer of white plain fleece sandwiched between you layers of fleece. Ait works really well and is easy to wash and dry
this is a few of my favourite creations, the last one is the first mat I made for Bill and Ted
View attachment 244223View attachment 244224View attachment 244225
They're amazing x

I make my own liners and pee pads. I'm not very good a sewing straight so the sewing is often a bit wonky but as my OH says 'it's only for piggies to pee on'! I can make at least 2 or 3 liners for the price of one if I bought them so what's a wonky line between friends?
We have a collection of 60 + year old hand worked machines, really simple to use. I didn't get on well with modern plastic machines with lots of settings.
There's lots of tutorials on youtube on how to make your own fleece items, give it a go. I'd start with the pee pads first and progress from there, you will be making hideys in no time!
Thank you for the reply! I love it, what's a wonky line between friends 🤣

I also make all our own fleece liners & pee pads. I worked it all out in the beginning & like piggyminder was more cost effective to make my own. (We also have 2 second hand liners.)
I have made snuggle sacks too.
I have brought fleece cubes beds, as that’s just beyond my basic sewing skills. I had a go at a cuddle cup…. The pigs were not very keen on using it!

You never know, you might catch the sewing bug, and be making other things too.
Thank you! You're right, it sounds like it's worth a go and definitely softer on the wallet in the long run...

View attachment 244223View attachment 244224View attachment 244225
Gorgeous! The fleece is quite nice as well, lol! But thank you for your input and the details of your process, all really helpful 🫶

I am super excited to sew some liners, potty pads, a beds and hiding spaces for my future piggies. I just bought some discounted purple plaid and froggy fleece for two starter sets! I even found some patterns on Etsy that look easy enough to make. I love the idea of using fleece instead of “regular” bedding material. It looks so comfy and I’m sure piggies everywhere would tell me just how much they love it!

I am super excited to sew some liners, potty pads, a beds and hiding spaces for my future piggies. I just bought some discounted purple plaid and froggy fleece for two starter sets! I even found some patterns on Etsy that look easy enough to make. I love the idea of using fleece instead of “regular” bedding material. It looks so comfy and I’m sure piggies everywhere would tell me just how much they love it!
It is so precious when you watch a guinea pig flop down somewhere they are super comfy :nod:

Back