Settling In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyegg

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone, although I've been quiet I have been checking everyone elses posts. We have settled in Rhubarb and Custard and although they started out as outdoor piggies they've moved inside to the playroom whilst it's been so cold and are in a C & C cage. They are about 4/5 mnths now and they had been fine with lap time and being handles but all of a sudden they are so skittish again. Rhubarb who I thought was the boss seems to be calmer now and once scooped up in the coozie will snuggle for about 30 seconds before she tries to scarper, where as Custard who was lots better at cuddles now teeth chatters me whenever I try to go near her and loudly! I can only stroke her whilst still in the snuggle cozie thingy. I am at a loss. xx My daughter and I hand feed most of the veggies everyday and then I try to handle them when she has gone to bed so i isn't as many hands but it's really hard! xx

Hi everyone, although I've been quiet I have been checking everyone elses posts. We have settled in Rhubarb and Custard and although they started out as outdoor piggies they've moved inside to the playroom whilst it's been so cold and are in a C & C cage. They are about 4/5 mnths now and they had been fine with lap time and being handles but all of a sudden they are so skittish again. Rhubarb who I thought was the boss seems to be calmer now and once scooped up in the coozie will snuggle for about 30 seconds before she tries to scarper, where as Custard who was lots better at cuddles now teeth chatters me whenever I try to go near her and loudly! I can only stroke her whilst still in the snuggle cozie thingy. I am at a loss. xx My daughter and I hand feed most of the veggies everyday and then I try to handle them when she has gone to bed so i isn't as many hands but it's really hard! xx

You may find this thread here helpful in establishing your dominance while reassuring them that you still love them. Your girls have now settled in fully and are trying to push the boundaries. That should do the trick. Gently discourage the behaviours you don't want to see and praise them lavishly for "good" conduct. Your girls have now stopped being youngsters.
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language
How To Pick Up Your Guinea Pig

Thanks Wiebke! I read those when I first joined but will have another proper read through! They are such funny little things ;-) x

Sounds like normal behavior to be honest, as piggies get more confident their attitude at lap times can change they become less scared so wont just sit there and freeze hence the wandering off and teeth chattering

One of our piggies teeth chatters when we go to pick her up at times. Some piggies aren't lap piggies and we have to respect that however before you give up I suggest the following....

We had a piggy Vimto that hated lap time and would bite us - We worked at it and would take her out for 30 seconds then pop here home, we did this 3 times a week for around a month weeks, then slowly increased it up to 5 mins via 30 second increments slowly. Each lap session she'd have a sprig of coriander. It took us 6-8 months but she doesn't bite now and will happily chill on laps for a while now. I know this was working with a piggy that was very wild but a similair routine may get your guys settled a little more.

Also keeping them in cosies for a cuddle is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back