Setting up new cage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey.
Just bought my first cage today. I got a Nero 3 as I am very short of space, and there was alot of difference between that and a Nero 2.
How do I set up the cage. I do not have a piggy yet, and most likely will not until saturday or sunday at the earliest.

So given as my books (Guinea piglopedia and Piggy Potions) haven't arrived yet....

How do I set my cage up.
I have a starter kit, with the woodshavings and hay. And the bowl and water bottle that came with the cage, as well as a carrier for transporting just in case.

H

woodshavings are a no no even though petshops still sell it >:( Newspaper and hay are fine for bedding or for more absorbancy, some of us use aubiose, medibed etc there is a section about it under housing at the top.
Woodshavings have been found to cause skin complaints and respitory infection in guinea pigs :)

Welcome to the forum by the way ;)

A morer supportive and informative post would be:

Woodshavings can cause respiratory and skin problems in guinea pigs so it's best not to use them.

Take a look in the housing pinned topics for some better bedding ideas O0

Hi H,

Welcome to the forum - you will get loads of support and help on here.

Absolutely agree with the others - no no to woodshavings. I use newspapers and hay as my bedding and with my Peruvian I use vetbed for him with lots of newspapers underneath.

Have fun on here and send us pictures of your new piggy.

Helen.
x

Hels said:
oops I realise you weren't answering me = ah well. I am sort of great....................

Sorry for treading on threads.

Helen.
x 98)

course you are :smitten:

How think does the hay have to be?
Do I need to wipe down the cage first?
Do I need to shred the paper before I put it in or just line the cage?
And what about positioning - would the cage be ok on the floor or does it need to be raised up. If so how high?

There are no hard and fast rules. I personally would wipe the cage down with a good pet cage cleaner sph supplies do a good one. Once dry, lay newspaper flat, I lay several sheets thick (I am always scavenging in recycling bins 98)) then I put aubiose on top of the paper then a big pile of hay in one corner. On my bottom cages (I have cube & correx) I do that at the back and at the front lay a bath mat or vet bed on top of the paper purely to stop so much hay being dragged onto the carpet when they come out :)
I have cages on the floor and one built on top of those, so either either really O0

and yes Hels, we are all great ;D

Bless you for being so thorough. :) Hygiene for your piggies is of utmost importance.

Yes do wipe the cage out throroughly - you can buy special products to safely disinfect and clean out the plastic base of it.
I line the bottom of my cages with thick newspapers and change them more or less daily really.
Lots of lovely hay on top for your guineas and do put a hay rack in so they can eat fresh hay from the rack.

My cages are up on units I had built but this was just personal preference really and so I can store my son's millions of toys underneath!!

Hope this helps. Many of us have different set ups and the other members will fill you in on theirs too.

Helen.
x

No shock horror Graham! Think that a good thick layer of hay ontop as you say makes all the difference. Just that when I started keeping guineas, I read that it is not good so I never used it plus more expensive anyway from pet shops! also when I see pics of guineas on just woodshavings and pine scented ones and stuff I think eeek poor piggies :o

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

only teasing Graham. Each to their own and whatever works best for you. AND you are showing your age here you know ha ha ha.

Helen.
x

I have to disagree with some of the posts. I use wood shavings, the dust free and allergy free one. I did use news paper but one of my piggies got ill and blood tests from a vet confirmed it was poisened from something commenly found in newspaper ink.

I agree some wood shavings can be harmfull, some have sharp bits in and lots of dust which can effect the piggies eyes and lungs but if you buy the more expensive dust free ones which have been tested and proven not to harm small animals you are as safe as you can be.

i put quite alot of woodshavings in a good amount to cover the bottom where you cant see the bottom just enough really to soak up lots of pee there is no exact measurement just try and not to put too much in as you wl find when you clean out most of it will still be as good as new

the best advice i can give is make sure the whole ares is covered with maybe an extra thin layer ontop if this is making any sense lol ;D

i do the same 4 all 3 of my cages a nero3 and nero2 and a rabbit 100

I recommend looking at the reviews on bedding at the top of housing and do some price comparisons. Pet shop woodshavings work out much much more expensive than buying say bulk aubiose or megazorb, so it is worth shopping around :)

Ok cage is now ready to go.
Layer of dust free woodshavings covered with a nice thickish layer of hay with a very very thick layer in there sleeping compartment.

Everything has been well washed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back