• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Septicemia :(

• Thread starter Thread starter shychick69
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shychick69

Hi Everyone, i'm new on here.. in much need of some re-assurance.
I bought my first two guinea pigs last weekend, two little girls called Vera and Truffle, they are about 9 weeks old. Then on Thursday when we went into the cage, there was blood everywhere and other stuff :-\ and unfortunatley Truffle was the one it had come from.. We rushed her to the vets, where they gave her an injection, but she didn't make it :'( The vet said she had septicemia, now to me this says she caught it from somewhere (clearly from where we got her from) but other people are saying its partly because she was stressed, any ideas which is the truth?
Obviously this left little Vera very lonely, so we bought her another sister, obviously I am worried sick about both my little babies now, in case the others start to show signs of illness, what should I look out for? As i'm a new owner I want to do everything right.

Help please

Thanks

Michelle :)

First of all WELCOME :D
Second of all sorry for the loss of truffle 0:) R.I.P :smitten:
Thirdly, make sure you dont make the same mistake if its not already to late by quarantining the new sow from your previous sow Vera O0
After she has been quarantined for a few weeks and she gets the all clear them I'm sure they'll be fine together as long as you are 100% certain they are both sows that is ;D

I dont no much about septicemia but heres a little info on what its about if nobody else knows as ive just researched it O0

' Septicimia is the clinical name for blood poisoning. It can be either bacterial or fungal in origin, and since both bacteria and fungus is present in daily life and on almost all surfaces organic and inorganic, it is hard to pinpoint where an infection originated.

Clinical signs of septicimia are usually listlessness, with a rapid downhill progression, struggling for breath, etc, and the nasal and/or eye discharge. However, it is more usual for the body to be cool with septicimia than fevered....pneumonia on the other hand can also have similar symptoms, and fever is more commonly associated with it. Both are very communicable to other cavys.

Keeping cages scrupulously cleaned will help to prevent this, as well as disinfecting feed and watering devices. '

I can't help re Septacaemia but Maryh will know I'm sure :)

I don't see how stress could cause a blood infection myself and don't believe guineas get stressed and die, it is something else ie illness that kills them. :)

welcome! piggies are the best pets in the world to have! OH loves bunnies !
so sorry for your lost of poor truffle RIP sweet little angel. a beautiful life cut short. may you be at peace and run free with all the other piggies gone before you. as for blood poisioning, have no idea for this in piggies but sadly my mother passed away with this in august 2006 and it took a while for mum it took at least 12 months. so i would say with the piggy truffle she would have got it from where you got her from. i don't want to mislead you but i am thinking perhaps a cut or bite which got infected. with mum she had ulcers on her leg and she picked them right down to the skeletal muscle. for my mum her signs were lack of appetite, slurred or no speech, legathic. septicemia is very common in humans and on the increase in the USA as i researched it when mum left us. i am sure you did nothing wrong, she would have had to of had the disease before you got her. poor baby.
so watch your girls and if in doubt have it checked out. hopefully maryh can help she and her vet are wonderful. good luck and sorry again about truffle. RIP sweet baby. 0:) 0:) 0:)

Septicaemia would not cause the blood loss you desc ribe.It is morelikely to have been heamorhhage from a tumour if it was internal.Are you sure there was no external injury?.

Septicaemia is not caused by stress,and it is not an infectious disease.It is mostly contracted by an infection already present.The only cases of septicaemia I know of were from neck ulcers.The gps had ingested the pus.The other cases I have heard of were post op complications.

I would not worry too much about the other piggies,as septicaemia,if it was that is not infectious from one gp to another.Obviously keep a close watch on them for a few days.

Thanks everybody for your kind words, thats really nice of you all :) Thanks for the re-assurance about it too ;D There was definately no tumours on her, so maybe it was an internal one?.. Update as of today, both Vera and my new little piggie Oreo seem fine, she seems quite still though, but I should think this is to be expected as she's nervous? Just worried the more confident one might be eating all the food! xx

maybe feed them seperately or put a divider in the cage where they can see and smell eachother but both can eat and be happy till the quiet one comes out of its shell. glad to hear that your babies are alright. good luck and hugs and cuddles to you and your babies. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back