Seperating Guinea Pigs

• Thread starter Thread starter Sarah Moorhouse
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sarah Moorhouse

Hi All

I have read other links on this subject, but being new to the owning of guinea pigs (which yes is addictive) i was wondering if I could gain some advice. From reading other pages and topics I believe that Mogwai is bullying Wombell. He lies in front of his house not allowing him to get out, tries to stop him getting to food, gnaws his teeth and chases him round (which at first believed was them just following each other round which is known to be normal behaviour). We are becoming increasingly worried as Wombell is becoming tamer and just sits in his house.

We have put in two of everything to try to ease tension and some days they are fine.

Although no blood has been drawn is it best to separate and having them in side by side cages?

Any advice would be welcomed!

first of all, how old are they?

sometimes boars go through a phase of doing this to determine who's boss..if they are still young an no blood is shed, maybe your best leaving them a little longer.

you can always try caging them next to each other with a wire grid in-between (if using c&c cages) so they can still see each other and have the company when they want it, but also have their own space. do they have a large cage now or not..maybe they need a little extra room? i have 2 boars coming up for 6 months and they still gnaw teeth and chase each other but they do share food no problems, i noticed my 2 dont like sitting together, they will play together but they dont cuddle up like my girls do..

We aren't sure how old they are as we got them from a rescue centre but they are both adult males.

They're cage is about 10.5 sq foot and we are thinking about extending it to try and ease the problem and they both get to roam the living room (which is now guinea pig safe)

The have tunnels, and we give them toilet rolls filled with hay sometimes, have you any advice as to what else they may like

Mine have the same, also cat/bunny balls with bells in. Sometimes you can hear them push them around :)

Quite a few people on here have other toys :)

what a relief to find this site!
I was looking for a couple of guinea pigs and what a result, 'free to a good home' ad came up. Two boys, one twice the size of the other now, so Smudge is brought out for feeding during the day/evening when the kids are asleep (he loves this time).

Anyway, I have the same trouble, so had the boys neutered 10 days ago, and Smudgepudge is still being shoved around a bit, and mounted as much as Buttons (now known as Roger) can get away with. I was told that neutering would ease this problem but I think it has made no odds as yet...oh! (And he still leaves deposits, poor little smudge) but they haven't drawn blood. They have been together since the previous owner got them from pets at home, and they are about 12 months old. Smudge is tame but can be nervous, unsurprisingly, but Rog is a bit of a curmudgeon at times. It doesn;t seem to stop smudge from popcorning frequently though; he's real charmer and very gentle.

Am now looking to get another house for them which is much bigger,with plenty for them to play with/explore. And crikey, some of the designs I've seen are fantastic!

One thing I find is that there is so much conflicting advice that it can be a bit confusing, on all aspects of guinea pig care, so I'm really chuffed to find this place. If there is anything anyone out there can tell me about what to do with my two boys I'd be really grateful. Off to bed now though.

Neutering doesn't stop dominant behaviour, only babies being produced.

You could split your boys & get them a girl each now they've been neutered but the boys need to wait 3 weeks before being introduced to a girl :)

Thanks for that Niki.
been to a pet shop today to get some ideas of hutch prices etc... I think I might start making them! £100 upwards for a decent size space! :o
Luckily I know of someone who recycles timber from housebuilding sites so can get good quality wood for what I hope will be a fitting mansion with enough space for them with a separator if needed. I think I'd like to get a couple of girls but that won't be for a while anyway as I would prefer to rehome than use a pet shop but want to take time over it. Smudgepudge loves cuddles while Rog isn't so tactile (except in more ahem, heated moments) so I dont want to get him a ladyfriend who'll be subject to the same sort of ungentlemanly conduct, as it were....

I also have had this problem. I have an older boar with a younger one who is about 8 mouths. There has been a lot of body swaying and teeth chattering of late.One seems to spend most of the time in the bedroom apartment and the other in the other part. but today I had noticed a little mark on the older ones nose and on a closer look found a few more little scabs around he mouth area. So I have to day made the decision to separate. I feel really bad,I just hope I have done the right thing.

I am utterly confused by our Guinea Pigs, this morning they were roaming round the front room together thick as thieves, getting up to mischief and shouting at me for parsley.

Sarah Moorhouse said:
I am utterly confused by our Guinea Pigs, this morning they were roaming round the front room together thick as thieves, getting up to mischief and shouting at me for parsley.

Awwwwww

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back