Seperated boars - side by side cages

G.pigmc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I currently have 2 single boars due the failed bonding. They currently have a 3x2 grid space each. They are only divided by grids and appear to get along well between the bars although they don't spend much time interacting. I have attached pictured of They set up. ( I also have a bonded pair who share a 6x2 cage below - pls excuse the cage they are set for a clean today).

Would this set up be suitbale for them long term? Are there any thing I can do to help ensure they get the most out of being separated?

Attachments

• 20240807_122239.webp
    20240807_122239.webp
    57.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240807_122247.webp
    20240807_122247.webp
    63.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240807_122253.webp
    20240807_122253.webp
    102.9 KB · Views: 4
Hello and welcome. Firstly, can I suggest that you edit your location to something more general than your postcode.
I have separated boars too Dignified Sir George and his boisterous sidekick Mischievous Master Boris. They now have a 3x2 + 2x2 each as they had shared a 2 floor 5x2 and we don't have the space to extend to a 6x2.
Do you have pictures of your boys for us to drool over? How old are they and what are their names?

Yes. Your cage set up looks great and that is enough space for everyone. I don't have any personal experience with piggies living side-by-side, but I'd recommend that if they can tolerate floortime together this would be a good way to ensure they get enough interaction. Otherwise, you seem to be doing everything perfectly! Please post more info about your fur potatoes so we can all say cute things about them!

Yes. Your cage set up looks great and that is enough space for everyone. I don't have any personal experience with piggies living side-by-side, but I'd recommend that if they can tolerate floortime together this would be a good way to ensure they get enough interaction. Otherwise, you seem to be doing everything perfectly! Please post more info about your fur potatoes so we can all say cute things about them!

This isn’t how it works with separated piggies. Boars who cannot share a cage, cannot have floor time together at all. If they could tolerate each other then they would still be in the same cage.
Those kinds of play times may sound good to us but to piggies it’s not - to them it is an attempt to accept and form a hierarchy with another piggy, it’s a full bonding session every time. As separated piggies cannot accept and have a functioning hierarchy, these kinds of playtimes would just be a repeated failed bonding. It would just result in fights and a lot of stress for the piggies

They get plenty of interaction living side by side.

My boys seem to get on fabulously through the bars, I've even seen them post food to each other.
BUT......
If hubby and I sit too close together at lap time Mischievous Master Boris immediately raises his hackles and starts chattering his teeth (very loudly) and growling/rumbling at Dignified Sir George.

My boys seem to get on fabulously through the bars, I've even seen them post food to each other.
BUT......
If hubby and I sit too close together at lap time Mischievous Master Boris immediately raises his hackles and starts chattering his teeth (very loudly) and growling/rumbling at Dignified Sir George.
Yes, Polo and Truffle get all wild eyed and psycho piggy, teeth chattering and bristling.

Back