Separated sows behaviour

Qpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 2 piggies have been separated in the new cage setup since the weekend. They have 2 45cm panels to interact through. Skittles was happy from the start, being the underpiggy and the injured party. Muffin, the dominant, struggled for the first few days but she's been exploring, zooming and popcorning since. I weigh every Friday so hopefully they will both continue to increase. They still interact through the panels, lots of 'nose kisses'.

I have noticed Skittles rumblestrutting the last few days - they did this while together with bountiful mounting from Muffin! Skittles parades herself right next to the cage divider and Muffin desperately tries to sniff! I've also caught a little ear nip through the bars with a squeak from Skittles.

Muffin is also weeing at the cage divider, obviously moving the strategically placed pee pad out the way 🤦‍♀️.

There is bar biting from both, but not excessively. We're home all Summer so they will get plenty of interaction from us too.

I think this is all normal behaviour, but I'm really new to pigs and dealing with the separation. I just want them both to be happy.

May I ask why they were separated?
I have never had any piggies living side by side so wouldn’t want to comment on it, but in general it all sounds okay.

My 2 piggies have been separated in the new cage setup since the weekend. They have 2 45cm panels to interact through. Skittles was happy from the start, being the underpiggy and the injured party. Muffin, the dominant, struggled for the first few days but she's been exploring, zooming and popcorning since. I weigh every Friday so hopefully they will both continue to increase. They still interact through the panels, lots of 'nose kisses'.

I have noticed Skittles rumblestrutting the last few days - they did this while together with bountiful mounting from Muffin! Skittles parades herself right next to the cage divider and Muffin desperately tries to sniff! I've also caught a little ear nip through the bars with a squeak from Skittles.

Muffin is also weeing at the cage divider, obviously moving the strategically placed pee pad out the way 🤦‍♀️.

There is bar biting from both, but not excessively. We're home all Summer so they will get plenty of interaction from us too.

I think this is all normal behaviour, but I'm really new to pigs and dealing with the separation. I just want them both to be happy.

HI

This is pretty normal and milder dominance/territorial behaviour through the bars after a bloody bite/bullying. It should mostly die down as they settle into their respective territories but may flare up somewhat whenever one of the girls has a stronger season and the hormonal urges take over. It sounds like both are happier with being neighbours rather than companions.
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

May I ask why they were separated?
I have never had any piggies living side by side so wouldn’t want to comment on it, but in general it all sounds okay.
Muffin bit or scratched Skittles ear during a pretty vicious fight, drawing blood. I think it was due to the after ringworm treatment bath as they'd been fine before that. I tried keeping them together after, but Skittles was not happy.

Muffin bit or scratched Skittles ear during a pretty vicious fight, drawing blood. I think it was due to the after ringworm treatment bath as they'd been fine before that. I tried keeping them together after, but Skittles was not happy.
I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately bonds are never guaranteed as it all comes down to personality and some just don’t get along no matter how hard we try.

I hope they learn to live very happily next to each other as I know many have great success with it.

Back